extra multiple mating hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dro

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Can you help me about extra multiple mating hive made by A Komissar.I'm interested about drawings.
Thanks

You can find his e-mail address with Google. I suggest you try and contact
him. I suspect (but happy to be wrong) you will not get much help here.

There does not seem to be much information available on what he has done. If you find out more please let us know.

looks like it was covered in BKQ some time back:

THE BEEKEEPERS QUARTERLY
incorporating BeeBiz. No.81 August 2005

EXTRA MULTIPLE MATING HIVES IN THE QUEEN BREEDING STATIONS OF UKRAINE - Dr Alexander Komissar.

by the look of his other publications the key to having more than one entrance per side is the markings used around the entrances:

Proceedings of the 3rd European Congress on Social Insects, St. Petersburg, Russia, 22–27 August 2005.
Poster Presentations
The peculiarities of the honeybee perception of two-coloured near entrance marks
Alexander Komissar
Department of Apiculture, National Agricultural University, P.O. Box 55, Kyiv, 03056, Ukraine
E-mail: [email protected]
Keywords: Honey bees, colour vision, two-coloured marks
Four colours were recommended for painting of near-entrance marks of extra multiple mating hives, which have
several entrances at every hive wall. These were yellow, white or blue (but not together), aluminum and red (or
black) colours (Komissar, 1996, 1997, 2003). Decreasing of queen mating success is the usual result of disposition
of two identical marks at one hive wall as the accuracy of definition of the mark disposition at hive wall by bees
is very low (Komissar, 2004).
The practical purpose of our investigation was the estimation of the possibility of using two-coloured nearentrance
marks together with the above enumerated one-coloured ones at the same hive wall. G.Mazohin-
Porshnjakov (1967) proposed to use two-coloured hives for improving of bee orientation. But his recommendations
were extrapolated from the results obtained at feeder stations, but not from bee drifting studying. Therefore we
studied the perception of two-coloured marks by the method of alternative choice by arriving bees without
preliminary training to tested marks (undifferential training, Komissar, 2004).
Blue-yellow and blue-aluminium marks with the ratio 50 to 50% of coloured surfaces and entrance hole in the
center were used at training. One-coloured marks were used as tested ones in 2004 and two-coloured (including
rotated at 90 and 180° #1 and #4) ones will be used in the experiment-2005.
Conclusions at the basement of experiments with marks 1-3 in 2004 (Komissar, 2005):
1. Honey bees clearly differentiate two-coloured marks from one-coloured ones.
2. Blue colour is more significant for bees than yellow or aluminium at two-coloured marks.
3. The way of disposition of the second colour at the mark surface influences the honey bee perception of twocoloured
marks.
4. The best way of two-colour painting remains unknown yet and unpredictable.

I can send some pictures as I have one in the garden, it has a heater below to help maintain colony temperature, usefull especially for II queens. If anyone is interested just add another post and I will load some pics.
kev
PS I find Kielers better these days and it took an age to make as its all small top bar colonies

Latest posts

Back