Experiences from fast spring build up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AFFECT TIME OF TURBO CARE

When I start pollen feeding and electrict heating at the beginning of April, the biggest hives get fast start and develope to full size in 2,5 months.
It goes same course every year.

I take emerging brood from bigger hives and help small ones to get their boxes full of brood. When box is full brood in the first week of June, they will be foragers a month later.
That takes time. After 2 months smallest hives are full of brood and those burst out as bees 2 -3 weeks later. At the beginning of main flow hives are even size.

To catch main yield from summer rape I join colonies to get 5-6 box hives.
Balance of brood and forager is important. These arouse when I control swarming and I make false swarms.

NOTE THE TIME SCALE

1. month = lack of nurser bees. Protein feeding
2. month: = new nursesr bees emerge and wintered bees die. Heating of brood area is minimum factor.
3. Month = quick expansion from 2 box to 4 or 5 box. Brood area reaches biggest size. Swarming if hive has not enough work.
.... wintered as small hives = expansion from 1 box to 2 box.

You see that small hives grow slow. That is why there is no sense to split hives in spring. But if you loose nerves, that is worse than bees

Last edited:
"That is why there is no sense to split hives in spring. But if you loose nerves, that is worse than bees"

I must be being slow! Surely it cannot be just about holding your nerve? It must depend on what type of bees you have and your local conditions? :grouphug: (did you know that smilie was called group hug!)Are you saying that as long as they have plenty of space they won't swarm?

Are you saying that as long as they have plenty of space they won't swarm?

Swarming is natural habit to bees to reproduce. Bees swarm in all conditions.

BUT when human has selected slow swarming strains, it help a lot beekeeping.

There are bee stocks which swarms what ever you do. And biggest swarm first.

Loosing nerves I mean that young beekeepers are so eager to split their hives that they do not believe that they ruin their hives wirth early splitting. It is same what I say to them.

..all of my stock has been from Swarm collection. Does this mean that I need to be extra specially watchful when it comes to swarming?

..all of my stock has been from Swarm collection. Does this mean that I need to be extra specially watchful when it comes to swarming?

If you add your queens from swarmed hives, it is quite sure that you get swarms next summer.

It mean not extra because all hives must be schecked for swarming: do they have queen cells with larva milk. Then you need to do some tricks.
Taking away queen cells does not help.
http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/pdfs/Swarm_Prev_Control_PM.pdf

thought you had successfuly requeened some of your colonies... which might help you?

Hmm, yes we did - Mentor lost one of them, so we had to bring on a new queen.
Think all of them are now re-queened, but I just thought that they had 'swarmy' genetics (...which is how we got them in the first place! )

But with a bit of luck the swarmy genetics should be a thing of the past with your new queens. I'm jealous!

Did you buy in a Queen Windershins?

I wonder how many generations you would have to go before the local drones had managed to keep down the swarm instinct of a swarm thats captured?

I suppose in theory you could make queen cells from the swarm then just keep making queen cells everytime the new queen is mated?

How many times in a season would that be? (If we ever see the sun again).

Who remembers the numbers for Queen hatching-mating-laying?

Yeah - queenS (note the bloody plural! Grrr!)

Next year though, Id like to 'go native'. We had a gorgeous Hawaiian, but that colony died a few weeks back.

And one of the Greek queens, Mentor dropped, and couldnt find again - not happy!

Plenty of them get imported,i know someone who imports them to sell,plus use himself,or at least he was.

yeah, more or less - but more expensive!!
Trying to dredge my brain for where we got it from - will have a think, and see what I can remember! It was Sussex somewhere...

Bickerstaffe?? No that was the greeks......something farm maybe? Dunno!

Last edited:
Sorry!

I could not resist.

Was it Payne's at southdown bee farm?

That throws my joke straight out the window then :redface:

Thanks for the link,I have downloaded the Queen pda to read later.

Latest posts

Back