Essential Bee Inspection Kit and Transport of

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 Plus
Hi All

Love to know the optimum method of conducting this, as in what do you do when setting off for an inspection, kit bag ? Type ? change at apiary ?

What exactly do you bring in the way of equipment ?

Ok, obviously if you are going to inspect AND add a super you need a Super and Frames ! but you know what I mean, other essentials.

I currently have a small toolbox with bits in it such as Knife, pliers, matches, Gaffer tape, measuring tape ( why I am not sure :) ) and other bits and bobs ??

Any Must haves ?? and Must do's when organising for inspections ?

To be clear not asking HOW to inspect, done the course, have my hives, have got my head around the HOW TO ( and of course still learning ! ), just want to see if I can improve my organisation through the wealth of personal experience on here

Thanks.

Coloured drawing pins for marking frames, queen clip for catching queen, coloured pen for marking queen.

Anything that you realise would have been useful if you'd had it with you add for next inspection!

I have three boxes in my bag.
Queen box has a new introduction cage, matchbox, crown of thorns, 2 plunger marker cages, marking pen, tiny parcel of wrapped up fondant, small knife, small scissors, bent wire to hang cage between frames.
Another box has scissors, drawing pins, map pins, strip of plastic queen excluder to cover front entrance, a few long hefty elastic bands, thin wire and a pair of snips, plastic bag large enough to take a brood frame, bits of sponge, matches and lighter
Last box has an assortment of plastic frame ends and hoffman converters; enough of each for one box
In addition I have specs, three inspection cloths, 4 hive tools, 2 bee brushes, spare pairs of marigolds and nitriles, a roll of gaffer tape, pen and paper and an LED torch.

Change at apiary.
I have a garden store there which holds crown boards, QXs, a nuc, a spare hive, and supers/frames plus smoker and fuel.

Last edited:
I have three boxes in my bag.
Queen box has a new introduction cage, matchbox, crown of thorns, 2 plunger marker cages, marking pen, tiny parcel of wrapped up fondant, small knife, small scissors, bent wire to hang cage between frames.
Another box has scissors, drawing pins, map pins, strip of plastic queen excluder to cover front entrance, a few long hefty elastic bands, thin wire and a pair of snips, plastic bag large enough to take a brood frame, bits of sponge, matches and lighter
Last box has an assortment of plastic frame ends and hoffman converters; enough of each for one box
In addition I have specs, three inspection cloths, 4 hive tools, 2 bee brushes, spare pairs of marigolds and nitriles, a roll of gaffer tape, pen and paper and an LED torch.

Change at apiary.
I have a garden store there which holds crown boards, QXs, a nuc, a spare hive, and supers/frames plus smoker and fuel.

but you're a girl and well organised....

my box has everything in it somewhere, and lots of things at the bottom that haven't seen the light of day for years!!

Sometimes I just take my smoker and hive tool with my queen marking kit and penknife in my pocket. if I need something extra I get the box out of my van which has just about everything in it including a spirit level.

but you're a girl and well organised....

my box has everything in it somewhere, and lots of things at the bottom that haven't seen the light of day for years!!
Bit like my handbag :) mind you I haven't looked in it for a year. iPhone, keys and money go in my pockets these days.

Latest posts

Back