enzymes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELizabeth[buzz]

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
i heard that if you microwave honey its enzymes go away. do you think the bees would still eat the honey or would they some how transform it with their enzymes.

ELizabeth[buzz]

you seem rather interested in the diet of bees, but not in anything else about these fascinating insects, are you perchance an insect nutritionist? (oops, I forgot, you are always asking about bees diets)

well im doing a science project focusing on that. Im really interested in that to if you can give any info on that to me

What are those enzymes? What are you thinking.

I looked honey enzymes and i found these:

- split sucrose to glucose and fructose.

- split starch to sugar like human saliva

- change honey pH and add antibacterial features.

Hobby chemists of course find what ever from honey.

Last edited:
Buzz, the direct answer to your question is that because all enzymes are proteins that they are vulnerable to thermal degradation. Enzymes are a pain in many food manufacture processes, heat is often the method used to knock them out where other changes like pH can't be used to supress activity.

Depending on their structure, the level of free moisture (which is low in honey - circa <18%). Most can be knocked back to less than 5% of their original activity by 75'C for 5 minutes in low moisture environments you have to go higher 85'C/5 mins, some need 90/10 etc etc. Your list of invertase, diastase, glucose oxidase and catalase in honey should all cop it by 80'C.

But as previously asked on this thread, why bother to knock out what the bees put in there in the first place? they are 'health' inert proteins and by definition already present in the bees digestive tract.

As an aside heating will also cause carbohydrate degradation and the formation of hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF) but whilst detrimental to the eating and keeping qualities of honey I cant see it being a problem with regard a bee feeding regime.

Still not sure why you’d want to though? Please explain.

Liz

Type into Google.

a manual on honey bee nutrition for beekeepers

Can I recommend a book:

"The wisdom of the hive" by Seeley, which covers preferential forage in some detail.

I just curious about the diet of bees and yes i am a beekeeper right now i have bees living in my breese way with an entrance out of the back door. I caught the swarm in the late fall in a wine barrel so now im doing a science project on what bees prefer. I neede a science project and thats what i came up with. I thank you for all your replies! You really helped me get ideas

A high level of HMF is toxic to bees, but moderation in everything I guess.

Yes, that became more apparent. Eventually.

micro wave destroyes something?

When i feed pollen patty I warm patty up in micro wave oven that it is soft to roll.

First, patty does not have enzymes except the yeast. Yeast remain alive.
I may use heat killed brewer yeast but this is bread dry yeast.

Second: patty is bee food

third: when bees eate patty they secrete enzymes that the gut can absorb the nutrients.

I need not worry about enzymes.

Human has same entzymes as the bee to brake food.

Bees cannot brake all sugars like lactose.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back