Entrance block

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryB

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have very busy hive on double brood. Entrance block is on opened to widest setting. What are people's thoughts on removing the block altogether at this time of year, and replacing once we get into wasp season?

The hives that have entrance blocks have them in all year. The bees don't mind queuing. The ones that have an underfloor entrance don't have entrance blocks to start with

My hives have a 1/4" by 1/4" insert it is loose allowing 1/2" access or 4" access depending on rotating it but can take completely out. I take it out so no queues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

814ce44e3c1906966e48b705d9827de3.jpg

No bees cos it was late and cold when I took the photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Take it out if you feel there is too much congestion.

Personally I stopped removing mine a couple of years ago as I was always searching for the right one later in the season!

Never really noticed any problems for the bees.

How many trees have entrance blocks you can remove?

Although true, how many tree living colonies are manipulated so that they don't swarm and grow very large??

I know when I've been successful with my form of demaree that the size of some of my colonies is probably a lot larger than any naturally living colony!

Although true, how many tree living colonies are manipulated so that they don't swarm and grow very large??

I know when I've been successful with my form of demaree that the size of some of my colonies is probably a lot larger than any naturally living colony!

:icon_204-2: Somewhat!!

Back