Enterance Block Usage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeFarmer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I collected my first colony yesterday and set them up in my now new apiary. However, when I'd plonked them down and got everything setup nicely I couldn't decide if I should remove the enterance block fully or just turn it to allow restrictive access. Obviously robbing won't be a problem at this time of year but I did find a field mouse when I was clearing the site. I have therefore left the block in allowing a smaller enterance, have I done the best thing or am I better removing the enterance block fully and fitting a mouse guard at the weekend?

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I collected my first colony yesterday and set them up in my now new apiary. However, when I'd plonked them down and got everything setup nicely I couldn't decide if I should remove the enterance block fully or just turn it to allow restrictive access. Obviously robbing won't be a problem at this time of year but I did find a field mouse when I was clearing the site. I have therefore left the block in allowing a smaller enterance, have I done the best thing or am I better removing the enterance block fully and fitting a mouse guard at the weekend?

Bit of an odd time of to get a colony but hopefully they won't have been too disturbed. Leave the block in as they are unlikely to be out flying a lot and the reduced entrance will help to stop unwelcome guests, ideally put a mouse guard on as well if you have one.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

A mouseguard is under £1 at Thornes.
Attach it with a couple of drawing pins. (TIP: a magnet to hold the drawing pin while it is pressed in makes the job easier with cold or gloved fingers! - Yes, select a drawing pin that sticks to the magnet!)

The reduced entrance itself will function as a mouseguard ONLY if it is unusually shallow - opening no more than 7mm (not 8 or 9) tall.

You'll find a minor difference of opinion on the forum as to whether mouseguards are better over a full or reduced entrance. Its about the risk of the bees being imprisoned by a small opening becoming blocked by dead bees. If its in the garden and you are watching out, then the risk of restricting+guarding is really minimal.

You can actually keep the entrance restricted for most of the year. Remove it when/if you see a 'queue' at the entrance. When there are wasps around, creating a small queue (perhaps by further restriction with a scrap of washing-up sponge) is actually a good thing - but that isn't going to be a problem for months ahead.

Bit of an odd time of to get a colony but hopefully they won't have been too disturbed.

I got them from a chap who was having to give up due to his health and the farmer wanted the site clearing. I initally when to just buy a hive and a few bits but he had a colony that looked really strong. I thankfully didn't have to move them very far so the distrubance was kept to a minimum.

I will leave the enterance block in the reduced setting unless the mice decided that they fancy a bit of a chew.

A mouseguard is under £1 at Thornes.
Attach it with a couple of drawing pins. (TIP: a magnet to hold the drawing pin while it is pressed in makes the job easier with cold or gloved fingers! - Yes, select a drawing pin that sticks to the magnet!)

Map pins are even easier to use. Nice and chunky.
Cazza

Attach it with a couple of drawing pins.

The mouse guards I brought came with two pieces of flimsy wood that can be fastened to the hive so that in theory the guards can be slid in and out of place. Having said that I'm not up for holding tiny panel pins with cold fingers out in the field, lol.

Hope they'll be okay, I moved them about 20 minutes in the car and it was pretty warm yesterday, the mercury around our way was 10+ for the first time in a few weeks.

How far is not too far? If less than 3 miles and the warm weather, you might find they fly back to the old site.

We moved them 17 miles. We've noticed a few of them out flying today which is a pleasant sight :)

Latest posts

Back