End of swarming

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BILL.HEARD

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Well in this part of the world we will hopefully see the last of swarming season this week, no doubt with a couple of exceptions. The flow is starting on the Bramble, bees are showing an interest in the first of the White Clover and the Limes should start within a week or ten days.

Well in this part of the world we will hopefully see the last of swarming season this week, no doubt with a couple of exceptions. The flow is starting on the Bramble, bees are showing an interest in the first of the White Clover and the Limes should start within a week or ten days.

I think there are too many personal factors to take into consideration with a persons colony strains and setups to be able to put a time period on swarming. Even if it is meant generally. For example, there may be new beekeepers that began with a nuc at any point this season that may want to swarm at any point until the end of season

Last edited:
Hi all,
Lots of swarming on spring honey still to come IMHO. One small cast swarm collected Thursday last week and found mine superceding three year old+ queen.

I dont discount swarming out until December.
E

And?...............................

I have collected 5 swarms in the last week.

Have now got about 20 bees showing great interest in one of my planters. The planter is located where some of my hives were 3 weeks ago, which were moved over 3 miles away. Don't now if they are scout bees, there's only sage and a bay leaf in the planter.

View attachment 10361

Might be worth putting a bait hive out.

For example, there may be new beekeepers that began with a nuc at any point this season that may want to swarm at any point until the end of season

Went to watch a new beekeeper do her 3rd weekly inspection after having a nuc 4 weeks ago from a big supplier. They have expanded to 7 frames of brood, 2 stores and 2 part drawn.
About 10 queen cells present, 6 loaded with grubs at probably 5-6 days old. Saw the existing queen.
Her first season just got more interesting.

Lovely planters! Did you make them yourself?

No, hubby bought them for me <3

Got bees just sitting on it now, only about 20 of them.

Just had a call, another swarm, same place as Fridays swarm.

Went to watch a new beekeeper do her 3rd weekly inspection after having a nuc 4 weeks ago from a big supplier. They have expanded to 7 frames of brood, 2 stores and 2 part drawn.
About 10 queen cells present, 6 loaded with grubs at probably 5-6 days old. Saw the existing queen.

Remind yourself to tell her that bees don't swarm in their first season and it will all be fine.

:icon_204-2:

:smilielol5::smilielol5: :smilielol5::smilielol5:

Might be the same supplier as mine; swarmed 19 May. Totally my fault; all credit to the supplier. Hated losing that queen.

And I am supposed to be her mentor...............
She had no spare equipment but was going to go to Thornes and get what she needed the next day, Monday.
We saw the queen and eggs and under my direction shook the bees from every frame and removed all the queen cells. We added an undrawn super and she had strict instructions to check again on Wednesday and if there were queen cells then to do an AS.
They swarmed yesterday at 1pm, less than 24 hrs after the above.

I really got to question the age of the queen. This is a 2014 nuc, she has had it 4 weeks and it had bias on 3 frames when she got it. Do the sums, I reckon it's an imported queen.

Hi all,
My production colony swarmed yesterday, which was really handy, now I don't need to search for the marked queen in amongst 40,000 bees again in order to make them queenless. Also, being a swarm I can get some new combs drawn out post-haste. Win win situation.

Had to control a colony with a new queen from swarm preparations less than a month before on thursday. Very much doubt it's the "end of swarming" yet.

Why would an imported queen be the culprit? Poorly mated, poor genetics or older than stated just as likely?

Just dont think its likely it would of mated in the UK that early and yes its one or the other, older or imported.

Remind yourself to tell her that bees don't swarm in their first season and it will all be fine.

:icon_204-2:

That's the biggest crock of crap that's spewed out as received wisdom to beginner beekeepers. Mine swarmed in their first season (or at least would have if I didn't A/S them and make increase. Twice). I only know of one beginner beekeeper out of my own cohort and this year's cohort of beginners that didn't have to AS in their first year.

And?...............................
Hello,
Well this is my situation down here and with the flow just starting it usually sees the end of swarming for me. I have been keeping bees for over 50 yrs in this neck of the woods so I'm in tune with the climate/ flora.

Latest posts

Back