End of first season

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taurus

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Firstly, many thanks to those on here who have offered advice during my first year - it's gone well.

My first colony, double brood National, have produced around 70lb of honey, haven't swarmed, stung me twice, and are now heading towards winter on an 8 over 8 pattern with insulation boards either side. I fitted a single bee entrance block today as wasps have just begun to try to get into the hive.

I took 5 frames out a while back and started a new nuc who superceded their first queen and seem to be piling in the stores. Hopefully I can get them through the winter.

My query is about keeping a super of honey for the main colony and how to go about treating for varroa. I put a board in today to do a count tomorrow.

I have a super of honey still on the hive and the intention is to leave it with them for the winter. I understand the usual thing is to put it underneath the brood boxes with no QX in place.

Now here's the bit I need advice with. If the varroa count suggests they need treatment my plan is to use thymol in early Sept and then vape with oxalic in December/January. But what do I do with the super of honey when I put the thymol in?

Does it have to be removed during treatment and replaced afterwards? Or can the super go underneath and the thymol on top?

Thanks

In theory you don't need a super of honey. Keep an eye on stores and provided they put enough honey in the brood box that should be sufficient. It is cheaper to give them some fondant in late winter than a whole super of honey. But if you insist on giving them a super then any treatment will not harm the honey for their consumption, if however they don't eat it then it may taint the honey for human consumption. If you put the super under the brood box they will move what they an into the brood box. If you put it above they will move up into the super as they exhaust the food in the brood box and eventually the queen will start laying in it. If you intend reducing to a brood box for spring it needs to go underneath. If you want to stay on brood and a half it goes above. Never with a queen excluder.
E

There are plenty of stores in the brood boxes - I just feel a bit mean taking all their honey.

But if the advice is to remove, extract and then treat that's what I'll do.

:thanks:

And why, as you intend to vape in the winter do you want to bother with thymol now? If I was you, as you have the kit I would just go for a three dose treatment now over 15 days and be done with. less hassle and a lot less expense.

I guess it's because I'm still learning and want to experiment to find out what works best for me. Next thing I want to try is adding thymol to syrup, only starting reading up on that idea recently.

I guess it's because I'm still learning and want to experiment to find out what works best for me. Next thing I want to try is adding thymol to syrup, only starting reading up on that idea recently.

If that's the case how about making your first experiment oxalic vaporisation? If you feel it's not to your satisfaction then try thymol next year.

:iagree: To both the above. I would sublimate, and feed with thymolated syrup.

Actually that is what I will be doing. :D

I was aiming to prevent nosema but I believe it also prevents the syrup developing mould which is problem I am currently experiencing.

Also - my subliminator got a wee bit too hot and melted.:redface:

Well the second one did. The first one got very hot and then went bang. Turns out the guy had sold me a 4v glow plug which modern diesels use on a pulse basis.

I was aiming to prevent nosema but I believe it also prevents the syrup developing mould which is problem I am currently experiencing.

Also - my subliminator got a wee bit too hot and melted.:redface:

Well the second one did. The first one got very hot and then went bang. Turns out the guy had sold me a 4v glow plug which modern diesels use on a pulse basis.

As you say the thymolated syrup will do both. The German sublimator on eBay is a decent device, it also works using a glowplug. Plus they tell you which one replace it with.

And why, as you intend to vape in the winter do you want to bother with thymol now?

If a mite count now suggests that treatment is warranted, why wait til winter? Wouldn't a treatment now be the most important, so that you have a "clean" colony to rear winter bees? Varroa damaged bees going into winter isn't a good plan, is it? What have I missed?

If a mite count now suggests that treatment is warranted, why wait til winter? Wouldn't a treatment now be the most important, so that you have a "clean" colony to rear winter bees? Varroa damaged bees going into winter isn't a good plan, is it? What have I missed?

complete the sentence - I suggested he forget about thymol and vape them now

An evening spent at the workbench and I've repaired the original vapouriser. Had to re-drill the hole for the glow plug, and then of course found it had a different thread so ended up drilling for a grub screw to hold it in place - which then snapped off and had to be drilled out again.

Just need some oxalic now.

complete the sentence - I suggested he forget about thymol and vape them now

My mistake, I missed the word now, and thought you were recommending the three day treatment in the winter. Thanks for putting me right.

glad you got your vaporiser up and running, just to put the score cards right it is now the beginning of the beekeeping season, what you do now will have a massive impact in the spring.

glad you got your vaporiser up and running, just to put the score cards right it is now the beginning of the beekeeping season, what you do now will have a massive impact in the spring.

Yes - you were very kind to send me that piece of aluminium. It was very interesting when the first glow plug melted itself into the block. All working well now. Thank you again.

I realised after posting that 'end of season' isn't really correct, but I just wanted to express my appreciation for the support and advice I've received through my first year - which kind of feels like it's coming to an end. A very productive end as well I am pleased to say.

I've just put the clearer board (with Porter escapes because I don't know any better - but the good news is neither do my bees as they seem to work fine. I just wash them in soda afterwards.) --- under the last super and will extract it tomorrow.

So I am making plans for next year, having also sourced a new out apiary which will allow me to make a couple of new colonies next year. Hopefully I can help someone else out with them.

Latest posts

Back