Emptying honey out of extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have a small radial extractor with no legs so a couple of weekends ago I used my husbands best wood to make a stand that sloped my extractor forward so that I could easily get the last little bit out of the tap.

I was very proud of myself; the husband on the other hand was not amused.

Granted its not the prettiest looking stand but it does the job and no weight of honey is going to be toppling it over because I used lots of my husbands screws too!! ;)

Depending on the extractor size, tip the whole thing upside down on a steep slope and let it run into a container.

:iagree:
Cage out, horizontal on stand ,block of wood to create slope, don't forget to position it with honey valve uppermost so as not have create a dam !
VM :)

At some stage the law of diminishing returns kicks in - but if you can turn it up and let it drain overnight it might be worth it.

I actually find there is more honey to be had in the cappings, than after a quick tilt 'n' scrape of the extractor.

Mind you, I might try the heat gun if I get a crop this season and make that a thing of the past too!

A bee makes one twelfth of a teaspoonful of honey in it's life time . What seems a little honey adhered to the sides of an extractor ,represents a lots of wasted effort if swilled to waste ?
VM

great, make me feel guilty when I have 24 bees lives on my toast every morning.

;)

Latest posts

Back