Empty hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Losses are something we all dread, but it happens..... one of my colonies started the winter quite strong with a full super of winter stores, have let them bee except for the odd heft and a quick squirt of oxalic.
Today... all gone.. just a handful of deadders on the mesh... none even in the brood box and stores pretty well intact, super and crown board well popollised on so no draught problem that I could see.
Could they have gone queenless and joined with the one of the other colonies on the site as the others all seem to be doing OK

Has there been a poll on losses

would need to know the number of hives starting winter and number surviving
probably by region

someone can do the statistics... could bee interesting

over to those who know how!

They'd stayed around until all the brood had hatched....e.g. no chilled brood ?

I do wonder about Oxalic acid......

They'd stayed around until all the brood had hatched....e.g. no chilled brood ?

I do wonder about Oxalic acid......

nothing ... no dead brood... totally empty!
:angelsad2:

adjacent WBCs had exactly the same treatment and they are rockin 'n rollin like a '60s Stones concert ! !:hurray:

Ignoring starvation, most winter losses are down to either 1/ Nosema disease or 2/ some type of queen/egg laying problem, like the losing of a late swarm and the failure of a new queen to mate in time.

Losses are something we all dread, but it happens..... one of my colonies started the winter quite strong with a full super of winter stores, have let them bee except for the odd heft and a quick squirt of oxalic.
Today... all gone.. just a handful of deadders on the mesh... none even in the brood box and stores pretty well intact, super and crown board well popollised on so no draught problem that I could see.
Could they have gone queenless and joined with the one of the other colonies on the site as the others all seem to be doing OK

Seems to be the same as has happened to one of my hives. Not enough dead bees to say that the colony had suffered from desease..

hopit. dish

you're both experienced beeks so there is a mystery!

All overwintering wipe-outs I personally know of are down to underfed or weak colonies entering the cold season - (with maybe an added touch of over medication).

hopit. dish

you're both experienced beeks so there is a mystery!

All overwintering wipe-outs I personally know of are down to underfed or weak colonies entering the cold season - (with maybe an added touch of over medication).
You seem to be missing the point....

If the instances of my and Richardbees losses were as you describe as "overwntering wipe-outs" where did the thousands of dead bees go? and as we have both stated they were not underfed going into winter because there were still plenty of stores left when the loss of bees was discovered, both within the last few days...

Sorry Dishmop but you're missing my point....

the winter wipe-outs I was referring to did have dead bees in situ but your and hopits didn't - that's why I said there is a mystery

Sorry Dishmop but you're missing my point....

the winter wipe-outs I was referring to did have dead bees in situ but your and hopits didn't - that's why I said there is a mystery
Sorry, yes I can see now.
Too much wine....

Latest posts

Back