Email accounts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
which email companies do people think are best for free email services, im looking at a new one for myself. I already have a hotmail and yahoo one.

I pay for my own domain name and one email address - less chance of being hacked and slightly more classy!

:iagree: ... and you can usually have limitless aliases so you can use them for your registrations and online ordering etc. If one starts to generate spam (for example, they sell on your contact details) you can simply write a filter that automagically forwards the email unseen to the bit bucket in the sky.

They usually charge about 50p-£1 a month.

I pay for my own domain name and one email address - less chance of being hacked and slightly more classy!

I also pay for a domain and Emails but I am an IT consultant....

I dunno about classy but.... I cannot understand how some of my peers expect to retain any credibility with freebee gmail/yahoo/hotmail emails.

Some of them even go to the lengths of having printed business cards with noddy email addresses :icon_204-2:

Some are even worse and they use "funny" names.

The only alias I thought was partially justified was my mate Pete - as his name was Ennis, even in corporate environments he never used the standard initial surname format. :nono:

which email companies do people think are best for free email services, im looking at a new one for myself. I already have a hotmail and yahoo one.

On a personal email basis I have used Hotmail for years ... and it's been pretty reliable and I have not had any hacking problems ... their spam filtering is pretty reliable too. Hotmail is about to change to Outlook.com and I'm a bit concerned about this change (probably without justification). I hear good things about Gmail and me.com and I may try one of those if Hotmail falls on its face with the proposed changes.

I agree with some of the subsequent posts that if you intend using a domain for business use then you really should register your own domain name and do the job properly.

I use Ntl as my ISP and email but I also use Chrome and gmail. (Lots of freebies with Chrome incl free file back up...)

Usual advice is don't use ISP provided email. BT, Tesco etc can seem convenient but can cost hundreds a year to stick with a less than ideal provider. You should have an address that lasts over the years, you don't want to miss the invite from someone using an old address list. Stability rates highly. I'd also avoid anything that ties to specific hardware such as apple or blackberry.

For personal use there's not a lot wrong with the three biggest suppliers. They are easiest to set up on phones, tablets and other devices because the settings are built in. A Gmail account is almost essential for using Android fully. The calendar is really useful. That's not a reason to use gmail as your principle contact email, but a valid choice if you do.

Yahoo is long established and worth considering, a big plus is setting up to 100 aliases to filter marketing. I was on early enough that I have my own name, no numbers or additions. Hotmail, maybe but various rebrandings over the years including the latest outlook count against.

For shopping set up any separate account solely for that purpose, check only when you have to. For one off registration use mailinator.com or similar.

For business always use your own domain name. The cheapest way is register the domain only and forward to another account, fiver a year or less for .co.uk Set up reply to your domain and there's little to give away you're a small operation. If volume grows you can always rent the full email package for a while and switch back to domain only when you move on.

:iagree: ... and you can usually have limitless aliases so you can use them for your registrations and online ordering etc. If one starts to generate spam (for example, they sell on your contact details) you can simply write a filter that automagically forwards the email unseen to the bit bucket in the sky.

They usually charge about 50p-£1 a month.

:yeahthat:
Great for stopping unwanted emails after entering a comp etc.

Gmail is good but you just get used to it and then they change the interface......again!

Gmail is good but you just get used to it and then they change the interface......again!

Some of us can be flexible and learn new ways -- evn at advanced years :icon_204-2:

But some user interfaces are just terrible.

GMX mail seems to work pretty well, and it supports POP3 as well as webmail.

I have noticed that gmail and Virgin mail seem to be exactly the same setup.

I my view the best one is Outlook.
Set up so you can see whatever you want on one page. No back and forward.
I have several email addresses and Outlook scoops them all up for me so I only use one server.

Just before Christmas I bought a smart phone and linked it to Face Book account. It downloaded contact and then I saved them to my computer and then uploaded to the phone.

Suddenly I see on my phone that there are loads and loads of phone numbers and email addresses of people I dont really know......but are "friends of" on Face Book.
The phone/computer app had gotten all these from Face Book..... but.. Face book doesnt show peoples email addresses or phone numbers......!!!!!!!!!!

and people wonder how all these people who they get emails and phone call from get their details?????????????????

Incredimail is another good one especially if you're fond of emoticons et al !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back