Ejecting DWV infected bees from colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norton Caff

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
In my garden, approximately 30ft from the hives, are several, perhaps 50 or more, bees crawling around on the grass. On inspection most have deformed wings or do not seem to be able to fly. The colonies are obviously not feeding any weak bees any longer than necessary. I'm assuming that the bees are being carried out of the hives? This DWV seems to have flared up very quickly :( . I have done an autumn varroa treatment and will be doing the usual oxalic acid dribble too but haven't had the virus in my colonies to a degree that I noticed it before now.

Colonies can collapse very quickly when they reach the stage you are seeing lots of young bees with deformed wings.

Check the varroa drop counts. Now!

/// you need to find out which hive(s) have the mega-problem …

As Hivemaker. Think about it.

Queen reduces lay rate, so far more phoretic mites, so far more pupae with multiple varroa, so far more seriously deformed bees emerging. So nearly all emerging bees are already infected with umpteen viuses from the varroa load. Bad news for overwintering.

It might be over, now or it might be that your varroa treatment did not work satisfactorily. Back to you to check them again.

Thanks everyone.
I'm using National. My varroa treatment was late as I've been away and only did it last week - MAQS put on last Thursday. I'm feeding too to reduce the mileage required to stock up the larders. It's pretty warm here still and there's a lot of pollen still coming in.
There are several "walkers" but if helped into the air they just drop so I am assuming they have wing problems.
I put the the inspection trays in a couple of days ago to see what was going on. On Thursday I can open up and have a better look at what's going on. At my last inspection I saw only one deformed winged bee and I do look for it. This has been quite a shock.
The colony I suspect to be having the problem is very large.

It's heartbreaking, but natural, that I find a lot of exhausted soon-to-die foragers walking under the beeline. But I have a suspect hive as the source of some DWV bees also walking. I put on Apiguard and dropped 1,700 mites in less than a week. So you might be scaring yourself but if you have any doubt the main option should be to treat. I suspect varroa is going to bite a lot of us this winter.

<ADD> Just reread your second post. It's not an instant cure! Just make sure by counting mites that the treatment is working. You've probably caught it in time. </ADD>

Last edited:
Just pulled out the inspection trays. The two (of three) larger colonies - big mite drop. Not inclined to count as there are so many.

DWV … deformed wing virus, probably the most important virus that infects honeybees. Transmitted by Varroa. High levels of Varroa and high levels of DWV are likely the most important reason for overwintering colony losses.

Latest posts

Back