Eggs on the Queen Excluder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a100sam

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I am only in my second year of beekeeping and when I opened my hive tonight and took off the super the underneath of the queen excluder was coved in larvae as was the top of the brood frames. Is this normal?

Cheers

Sam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is this normal?

No, but yes if they don't have enough room or the bee space is all wrong.

They probably built wild comb between super and bb with excluder inbetween, when you removed super you probably opened the cells , usually drones, and the larvae fell out. Make sure your bee space is right between box's but it does happen in full hives.
E

This is what I've seen recently between bb and super on brood and a half with a very full hive bee space was found to be correct

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks. I am using self spacing frames, so bee space should be right shouldn't it?

Im only s newbie but bottom bee space between super and brood box

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks. I am using self spacing frames, so bee space should be right shouldn't it?

Between the frames, yes, but the vertical space between the frame tops and queen excluder seems wrong - too wide.

Do you use a framed queen excluder? If so, is one side of the frame deeper than the other?

Err, absolutely nothing to do with it.

Yes I use a frames excluder and one side is deeper.

Are the tops of your frames flush with the top of the box (top bee space), or is there space for bees to move around there (bottom bee space)? Same question for the super you're using above the queen excluder.

Bee space >> http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/bsp.html

Are the tops of your frames flush with the top of the box (top bee space), or is there space for bees to move around there (bottom bee space)? Same question for the super you're using above the queen excluder.

Bee space >> http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/bsp.html

err - t'other way round?

Oh well done JBM - you spotted my, umm, deliberate mistake :eek:

Yerrs, top of frames flush with the top of the box = bottom bee space, and so on.

Apologies.

Oh well done JBM - you spotted my, umm, deliberate mistake :eek:

Yerrs, top of frames flush with the top of the box = bottom bee space, and so on.

Apologies.
Silly question but have you made sure you made up the Brood box correctly. I was new to this last year and made mistakes with boxes meaning the bees utillise the spaces I got wrong to suit their needs.

Back