Eggs not hatching

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be great if you could keep us updated. If you get same again you may find some universities interested in dissecting her DNA. Not sure which ones, but as far as I'm aware it's something unknown.....I'm hoping someone will now come along and say paper x in 19xx showed it was due to a recessive mutation in gene y.

:yeahthat: Fascinating ... as there appears no really apt explanation.

I too am fascinated though I have no real scientific input to add. It's a pity you can't get that laying queen straight into a new colony so that there is no laying interruption. Her going off lay while caged might change things?

IT is beginning of July. Everything is possible in this summer. Wasp attack!!! Nuclear Winter? Tsunam into London or into Manchester.

Do nothing, if it is so difficult, in the name of science.

I rear queens. Cells are capped. Hives have killed new queens but my world has not collapsed, yet...

Nothing scienticish in my life.

Last edited:
Update

I checked the nuc today.
Eggs still not hatched.
Number of eggs reduced slightly but not significantly.
Frame of grafts 50% drawn out and filled with royal jelly. My usual acceptance level.
I have attached an image that I hope shows that the nuc was well supplied with pollen. There were two frames that had a substantial arc of pollen above the eggs. You can see from the image that the eggs are well laid in the centre of the cell and are as far as I can see single eggs.

I have placed the suspect queen in a cage with candy bung into a queenless nuc with no eggs. Will be interesting to see if these bees accept her and what happpens to any eggs.

Attachments

• pollen stores and eggs.jpg
    pollen stores and eggs.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 42
IT is beginning of July. Everything is possible in this summer. Wasp attack!!! Nuclear Winter? Tsunam into London or into Manchester.

Do nothing, if it is so difficult, in the name of science.

I rear queens. Cells are capped. Hives have killed new queens but my world has not collapsed, yet...

Nothing scienticish in my life.

Pity:icon_204-2:

As I had mentioned earlier, I heard that a friend was seeming the same thing that beeboy 55 was. I took a look last night as a second opinion, and saw the the perfectly good looking queen was laying well over 3 frames, but less than 1 percent were hatching into larvae, and it must have been like that for at least 3 weeks. I have tried to attach a picture.

The assumption is that the eggs are being removed, as they must be defective, presumably haploid.

The plan is to kill the queen off and combine the hive.

Just when you think you have seen most things, something different comes along. Beeekeeping eh!

Attachments

• IMG_20170714_185214.jpg
    IMG_20170714_185214.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back