Efb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim1606

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Phew, thought I had EFB in one of the apiaries but sbi confirmed it was just a frame of abandoned brood.
LFD used.
At least i got to see and use an LFD, better than just reading the instructions. Now have a couple of spares for me to test with just in case. No substitute for the confirmation by the bee inspector though.

That must have been a relief for you.

Did the SBI leave a few LFD's with you?

A couple and i went and bought a few.
Fully loaded now with EFB & AFB kits. Hope i never have to use them.

Nothing's perfect but those little test kits are great.
It's a shame they cost almost £8 from T's

Vita sell them for £3.72 + VAT. Apparently it costs £200 for the bee inspector to call. Worth getting an association bulk order? (test kits not bee inspectors that is).

Thanks Chris, i think i'll get them from vita next time.
Rushed To T's in a panic yesterday and most of his stock was short dated and some even dated 2011.
The AFB kits i got are dated Aug 2013 and the EFB August 2014

Sounds like the start of the new Inspectorate policy - trust the trusties and spend more Inspector-hours on the bad apples.

For the hobby beek, I think that it remains best to follow the legal requirement that if you suspect AFB or EFB then you must contact the Inspector.

For the hobby beek, I think that it remains best to follow the legal requirement that if you suspect AFB or EFB then you must contact the Inspector.

Yes but the point is there is no reason why ANY beekeeper should not be able to recognise potential signs of foulbrood, use a test kit, and eliminate any clean colonies from the inspectors heavy workload. This is part of the reason they are keen on disease workshops.
The only advantage of the bee inspector is they will have a keener eye and spot things you missed. However, if you've already spotted something dodgy-looking and you have a test kit handy, it's far far better to test immediately. I had a positive self-test last year, and a few days later when the inspector came there were no signs whatsoever. EFB is often known as "the disappearing disease". Bees will clear out infected larvae and hide the symptoms, only to reappear again when the colony is stressed or even when there is a good flow on due to nurse bees being promoted to foraging.

Sounds like the start of the new Inspectorate policy - trust the trusties and spend more Inspector-hours on the bad apples.

:iagree: But it doesn't matter whether you are a hobby beekeeper or commercial beekeeper, you suspect AFB or EFB then you contact the Inspector.

Yes but the point is there is no reason why ANY beekeeper should not be able to recognise potential signs of foulbrood, use a test kit, and eliminate any clean colonies from the inspectors heavy workload. This is part of the reason they are keen on disease workshops.

:iagree:

Back