EFB locally. Should it be more widely known?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never done one before but I did a full disease inspection last week, shaking bees off all brood frames and failed to find anything that concerned me (with my limited experience, true). But then the colonies are all big and thriving at the moment. Including the 2 swarms that arrived after the initial NBU notification which will be 6 weeks old.
(Couldn't even find any chalkbrood which has been an issue since I started. ?)
Some pollen cells can look suspicious.
View attachment 27406

The apiary which was the original source of the outbreak has had problems. One shook swarmed colony swarmed/absconded? and both went queenless. May have to help out with a frame of eggs.

Thinking I should do another disease inspection later in the year and again next spring. Then relax again.

. . .. . Ben
there's a couple of cells in that photo which warrants a closer look

The non obvious colonies are the biggest challenge.
one of the 3 positive EFB diagnosis I had 2 weeks ago is my biggest colony, 10-11 frames of brood, 5 supers (80-90% full) above. BI’s picked a couple of larvae across all 10-11 brood frames…
EFB clearly didn’t affect this specific colony much, but… it’s there.
During the last couple of years, I had colonies diagnosed with EFB and were very clearly diseased, more problematic are those that are showing very little (to none) signs.

This is the full image. Top of frame to LHS.
Larva look pearly white when you can get the sun down the cell.
First arrow turned out to be an incomplete pollen cell. Dug it out with some tweezers.
Second arrow is a couple of loads of pollen that haven't been processed.
Lower arrow. Not sure why the capped cells lower down are open. Varroa?
DSCF20210716-12-anno.jpg

Not sure why the capped cells lower down are open.
If bees recognise that pupae is compromised by varroa they will remove it by chewing it away. If the head is complete but the cell uncapped, suspect genetic bald brood or wax moth.

If EFB is within 2 miles it should be known to everyone. The cost of it alone on stock to someone should make it a legal obligation. Would farmers be informed of something that effected livestock in the same way?

If EFB is within 2 miles it should be known to everyone.
It does, it's a reportable disease - that's the point of beebase, however there is no need for anyone to know the specific address of the outbreak - just that it's within two miles.

One of the beekeepers around me isn’t cooperating with the BI’s. BI’s mentioned they’re likely to take the enforcement route with them now. They can’t tell me who that is due to GDPR, but I think I know…

Latest posts

Back