EFB and culling

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So to the wise ones i ask.
Are efb bacteria spores similar to mould or mushroom spores. Do they travel and spread the similar way. How long and how much spores are given off.
How tough are they.

Does the Bee Farmers group have insurance if you intend to run my few collonies as part of my land based business.
they don't do BDI, only the BBKA do, but you won't get to join the BFA with just a handful of hives. If you don't want the Local BKA nonsense, you can always just join the BBKA as an individual member and pay the BDI that way

So to the wise ones i ask.
Are efb bacteria spores similar to mould or mushroom spores. Do they travel and spread the similar way. How long and how much spores are given off.
How tough are they.
See post above from @Prof, EFB does not form spores.

Bacterial spores, for those species which produce them (such as EFB), can travel on the wind but usually it's about surviving adverse conditions. They are heat and cold resistant, can survive dessication, various chemicals.

Thank for that. Will consider it.
One AFB bacterium produces one spore and may be between 10 million and 1000 million per ml of liquid (you will not have a ml in each cell of your comb but it adds up when you allow for all the frames). Chemically very different from fungal/nosema spores etc. and very tough to destroy.

Latest posts

Back