Eeks! Reaction to Thymovar?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am sure the cause of this will be obvious to you guys, but I have to admit I panicked somewhat tonight. This morning I removed the cleaned super and put on a Thymovar strip, having put in the OMF cover. They all seemed fine, but on returning just now to bring in the washing, I noticed the girls all crowding in the under floor entrance. They seem quite calm, no fanning and I'm at a loss as to what is wrong. Surely if they were hot, or didn't like the smell, they would beard on the front of the hive? I'd be grateful for any suggestions, please, critical or otherwise. ;) Thank you. (It is still 25 degrees C here.
View attachment MOV_5752.mp4

I am sure the cause of this will be obvious to you guys, but I have to admit I panicked somewhat tonight. This morning I removed the cleaned super and put on a Thymovar strip, having put in the OMF cover. They all seemed fine, but on returning just now to bring in the washing, I noticed the girls all crowding in the under floor entrance. They seem quite calm, no fanning and I'm at a loss as to what is wrong. Surely if they were hot, or didn't like the smell, they would beard on the front of the hive? I'd be grateful for any suggestions, please, critical or otherwise. ;) Thank you. (It is still 25 degrees C here.
View attachment 27853

With an underfloor entrance, that is what bearding looks like presumably? I imagine it's the smell.

Thank you Boston. I assume then, that they are funnelling the air to the left side of the entrance, rather than have the whole width open. Hopefully nothing to worry about. Thanks.

Thank you Boston. I assume then, that they are funnelling the air to the left side of the entrance, rather than have the whole width open. Hopefully nothing to worry about. Thanks.

I've never used Thymovar, so I can't comment on whether that's a normal reaction. But that's certainly bearding (or at least, escaping the hive temporarily). I guess it shows the Thymovar is doing something!

True. I did the other hive the day before, with no reaction from the bees, but mites are dropping. The OMF cover on this entrance from Thorne is quite tight fighting, so it is probably quite strong. I'm going to have another peek now. :)

I would not worry about it. Some of mine beard with thymol, others don't. After a day or two they are all back inside
Thank you, Drex, that's reassuring. I was beginning to wonder if it was the batch, as it hasn't happened before, but my other hive is out this morning, though both to a lesser extent today. I'll keep an eye on them.

Latest posts

Back