Ecostat heating element and thermostat

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just came across this post /thread, I am working to the same plan with converting a fridge into a Honey heating unit / Wine + beer fermentation unit using the same equipment. had been searching for suitable 60 watt heaters rather than 45 watt ... seen a couple but one supplier out of stock and the cable on the others was quite short.

Hoped to be doing this weekend but delayed waiting on fittings :)

If you heat honey to about 50 degree cesius is this still considered Raw honey?

I bought an ecostat 100W heater 4 years ago off the back of this thread. Very pleased with it, it replaced the lightbulbs I had previously. Far greater temperature control possible, no worries about any dodgy electrical set-up underneath 60lbs of warm liquid honey and no hot spots over the lightbulbs. With a thermometer and experience you get to know which setting is required to melt the honey as it changes with the ambient temperature.

I bought an ecostat 100W heater 4 years ago off the back of this thread. Very pleased with it, it replaced the lightbulbs I had previously. Far greater temperature control possible, no worries about any dodgy electrical set-up underneath 60lbs of warm liquid honey and no hot spots over the lightbulbs. With a thermometer and experience you get to know which setting is required to melt the honey as it changes with the ambient temperature.

I did the same. Installed in an old under-counter freezer (compressor removed).and it works completely fine. I do not believe in heating too much and it will do 2 x 30lbs buckets (OSR / Spring) at say max 36 degs C over a couple of days.

I used cable ties and tywrap bases to secure it to the bottom of the freezer and have had no problems at all with it.

As others have said you soon learn what setting will produce what temp and I use a remotely monitored thermometer to check it.

In terms of temperature stability
Warming%20cabinet.jpg

Ignore the label as Hive1 it is in fact in my warming cabinet which is in my garage and hence an outside temp to compare with.

IMG_2074.JPG

Last edited:
Can anyone post an up to date link for one of these elements please? Im looking to build one asap. Thank you.

For tube heaters go back to the JBM's link in #30 of this thread, the seller is still active .

Regarding the vavarium pads they only have a max 35c temp so may not quite be enough to fully melt honey, using a higher wattage model will just mean getting to 35c quicker.

The tube heaters work perfectly for an old fridge with an stc 1000 to control the temp.

Last edited:
The great bit about the stc 1000 are no stick on temp labels are needed, one adjusts the temp setting easily from outside the enclosure and can do so in 0.1c steps.

The great bit about the stc 1000 are no stick on temp labels are needed, one adjusts the temp setting easily from outside the enclosure and can do so in 0.1c steps.

Some of them (possibly older models) are even programmable. As far as I recall it's a bit tricky to tell which is which though.

James

Latest posts

Back