Easy swarm control - is there such a thing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a leaf out of the big boys book, they keep it nice and simple.
Under a thread Commercial swarm control methods
I was once told by an old gentleman who had kept bees for over 50 years that he had once forgotten to take a queen excluder off one of his colonies entrances.
The bees swarmed and rested in a tree opposite the hive one sunny afternoon. That evening they all went back into the hive and this continued for over a week. He then noticed the excluder on and removed it and noticed the new virgin queen had hatched.
Did she kill the old queen? because he said they never swarmed after that.

Sure the commercials would be happy and able to retire early on 24lbs a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Are those the ones responsible for that average yield of 23.8 lbs / colony this year?

One has to assume so..

So breed from carp..

Like any survey, the answer depends on who you ask. I suspect it is new enthusiastic bee keepers who respond, with little experience. Old cynics like me never bother. Honey production is not my main priority, but I would chuck it in if only getting that amount per hive.

And these are the bees the BBKA would have us breed from... :eek:

Don't take the Michael! :) I used to have bees that would swarm with 5 or 6 frames of brood. Last year 1 colony swarmed. The remaining dozen didn't. And honey production was a lot more that the BBKA average too. :)

Are those the ones responsible for that average yield of 23.8 lbs / colony this year?

I got 15lb from them angry ones one year and around 6lb the following year.. which is strange because the forage they have is in a endless cycle, come to think of it the year i got the 15lb was when the field near the hive was OSR.

Latest posts

Back