East London

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m actually a big Buckfast fan! The Carnicas in Germany are great and the friendliest bees you could imagine but I’ve been completely blown away by Buckfast queens I get from Paul Jungels (or his distributors now that he doesn’t sell directly anymore) in Luxembourg.

I was going to see what the UK has on offer though - a lot of interesting stuff seems to be happening in terms of queen breeding. Also not sure how to get the ladies into the country from continental Europe, I suppose it would still be possible somehow though.
I’ve had Buckies from Peter Stöfen in the past but that was before Brexit. Anybody exporting queens to the U.K. will know the hoops to jump through.
Here in the U.K. I’ve always been pleased with my bees from BS honey bees.
Ged Marshall has a good reputation too.

I manage the community hives the Eric has alluded to above - they are in Victory Park beside the mirror park. Security is excellent as they are in a locked area with several cctv cameras. The forage is excellent with numerous wild meadows plus the River Lea banks. Currently we have five very full supers on each of the three hives.

I manage the community hives the Eric has alluded to above - they are in Victory Park beside the mirror park. Security is excellent as they are in a locked area with several cctv cameras. The forage is excellent with numerous wild meadows plus the River Lea banks. Currently we have five very full supers on each of the three hives.
Sigh....it sounds so easy. Bramble is my main crop and we have nothing but rain forecast for over a week.

That sounds excellent, I’ll keep an eye out for them when I’m in the park!

Yes we do - my dad took over when I left and reduced the number of hives from about 20 to 6, but with retirement looming he’s now built it back up to 12 or so!
Did you manage those hives yourself when you were much younger?:)

Did you manage those hives yourself when you were much younger?:)

I did! I spent a few summers at the bees with a beekeeper before and then a whole year when I was 11. When I was 12 I got my first hive in the autumn and then a few years later I had about 20 (I guess I was 15-20 then). I think I sent my own queens to a mating site when I was about 15 😅

I must say that I also joined the local beekeepers association then and spent a lot of time at other beekeepers’ apiaries which helped a lot but I did manage my hives all by myself!

I did! I spent a few summers at the bees with a beekeeper before and then a whole year when I was 11. When I was 12 I got my first hive in the autumn and then a few years later I had about 20 (I guess I was 15-20 then). I think I sent my own queens to a mating site when I was about 15 😅

I must say that I also joined the local beekeepers association then and spent a lot of time at other beekeepers’ apiaries which helped a lot but I did manage my hives all by myself!
Similar to me, girls and beer did enforce some years off in my early 20s

Wow, I take my hat off to you. How many hives do you plan this time?:)bee-smillie

Wow, I take my hat off to you. How many hives do you plan this time?:)bee-smillie

I was just super interested in animals from a young age and we had half a zoo at the time anyways so it was just one more thing my parents had to put up with!

I think I’ll keep it low-key for now, I feel like 4 is a good number to cover off eventualities.

I’ve had Buckies from Peter Stöfen in the past but that was before Brexit. Anybody exporting queens to the U.K. will know the hoops to jump through.
Here in the U.K. I’ve always been pleased with my bees from BS honey bees.
Ged Marshall has a good reputation too.
Afaik BS get queens from Sicily, I could be wrong.

I was just super interested in animals from a young age and we had half a zoo at the time anyways so it was just one more thing my parents had to put up with!

I think I’ll keep it low-key for now, I feel like 4 is a good number to cover off eventualities.
And you still are, I suppose? Good luck with your bee plans.

Also look at Beckys Beezzzs for Buckfast queens as I had a nuc off her last year very calm bees and same queen laying like a good un this year on a national brood box and a commercial brood underneath (national full of brood and commercial has 2 frames of brood and stores with 2 supers on top).

Latest posts

Back