Easely developing nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I started a mating nuc about 8 weeks ago. I changed the queen propably twice.

It was 2 frames in a 3-frame polynuc.(later expansion). It was a little bit angry and I was not willing to look what is going there.
Couple days ago i was forced to look it, because it was really full of bees. Two frames' honey cells filled the upper space.

Frames had capped brood from corner to corner. First brood generation had almost emerged and the second generation was quite old. Extra wide bee spaces were filled with bees.

So I put the nuc into a full langstroth box. It occpyed easily the box and bees existed evenly in all frame gaps. I gove to the colony more and less crystallized frames and bees have lots to do before interrior is in order. So they get "feeding" to inspire brooding. Further more I take it to blooming red clover field.

Now the hive has time to make 2 brood generations before wintering and it will become a good winterig hive. i bet that it will be a strong colony. The queen is a good layer.

And what was the story: from two frame nuc to a strong one box hive in 2,5 months.

Ok. three the most vain thing on the earth: nun's nipples, pope's balls and English humour in Wales

there is no impressive teqhnigue in that. I just want that you compare your nuc developing, how fast it happens.

Only inpressive is a poly nuc which is warm. 2 frames of bees need finger size air hole and not a mesh floor. You in Britain have gone too far with your "climate adapted mesh floors + feeding hole open" and then you try to push the hive with hair dryer.

menteth wrote that his hive has been the whole summer in one box.
The reason is that hive has been over over ventilated but I think too that the queen is not able to lay more than 2 frames. if the queen is a normal layer, bees expands to open air if you do not give more space.

But you have there you automatic forum answer that everyting in UK is so special that you cannot compare how is your hives going alont the year's course.
Weathers blaa blaa....

Now, my belly is again informing, that it cannot handle humour much more.

Last edited:
... You in Britain have gone too far with your "climate adapted mesh floors + feeding hole open" and then you try to push the hive with hair dryer.

That misunderstanding has put down strong roots .... :willy_nilly:

Use of hair dryer - take frame and gently gently warm old foundation until it smells nice. Later, put frame in hive. That is all.
Really!
Nobody has suggested warming the hive with a hair dryer ... :rolleyes:

... you automatic forum answer that everyting in UK is so special that you cannot compare how is your hives going alont the year's course.
Weathers blaa blaa....

I think the television coverage of the Olympics should demonstrate to the unbelievers that the British weather can indeed change quite quickly ...

Nobody has suggested warming the hive with a hair dryer ... :rolleyes:

Although, I'm sure I do remember someone, a Finn I think, being in favour of electrical hive heating in Spring ...

I started a mating nuc about 8 weeks ago. I changed the queen propably twice.

It was 2 frames in a 3-frame polynuc.(later expansion). It was a little bit angry and I was not willing to look what is going there.
Couple days ago i was forced to look it, because it was really full of bees. Two frames' honey cells filled the upper space.

Frames had capped brood from corner to corner. First brood generation had almost emerged and the second generation was quite old. Extra wide bee spaces were filled with bees.

So I put the nuc into a full langstroth box. It occpyed easily the box and bees existed evenly in all frame gaps. I gove to the colony more and less crystallized frames and bees have lots to do before interrior is in order. So they get "feeding" to inspire brooding. Further more I take it to blooming red clover field.

Now the hive has time to make 2 brood generations before wintering and it will become a good winterig hive. i bet that it will be a strong colony. The queen is a good layer.

And what was the story: from two frame nuc to a strong one box hive in 2,5 months.

Thanks for the information Finman

We now mostly cover OMF until they build up to a strong colony

Amongst our several bumbling attempts at splitting colonies into nucs this year, I've gotta say we have one major success - this was a native virgin pulled out of her cell on or about 11th May - can't recall exact date - and placed into a stnadard hive with a cupful of swarm bees and fed a ton of 1:1 syrup as they only had foundation - she laid sedately, was given a frame of nurse bees and brood and now is in a 14x12 box. This morning's inspection showed she has 9 frames of BIAS and 1.5 full of stores. We put a super on in hope ...

How's that for Team GB ;)

Oh yeah forgot to say - she started off with just 2 frames, banked up on both sides and roof with loft insulation cut up to fit the BB

Last edited:
That misunderstanding has put down strong roots .... :willy_nilly:

Use of hair dryer - take frame and gently gently warm old foundation until it smells nice. Later, put frame in hive. That is all.
Really!

but bees do not need that, really. Perhaps a beekeeper, but not bees. I know that. Other believe.

must be the Chernobyl strontium in the red clover!

Doubtful. More likely Caesium-137.

Hmmm.... Yet another dangerous substances that lurks in plants and isn't talked about too much. Like Polonium, a radioactive substance found in tobacco. which the industry has known about for 40 years and ignores. They found a way to remove it, but decided it was too costly!

Thanks Finman,

Its good to hear what can be achieved and potential time frames for it taking place.

I made my own nuc this year, full mesh floor but I am thinking a ploy nuc or two on Santa’s list for me might be nice.

Here hoping I could replicate such a build up.

Hmmm.... Yet another dangerous substances that lurks in plants and isn't talked about too much. Like Polonium, a radioactive substance found in tobacco. which the industry has known about for 40 years and ignores. They found a way to remove it, but decided it was too costly!

what about your own nuclear waste handling factory. On that base your hives in UK SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST 10 BOXES in every hive and cows should fly.

Thanks Finman,

I made my own nuc this year, full mesh floor but

and compare..... I use one ich entrance hole and you use the whole bottom open.
To where bees need so much fresh air?

Ventilating madness. That it is.

We have had now few days 26C and bees do not need more ventilation. Main flow is over now.

Last edited:
Back