Dusty's bees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
Tomorrow is my first inspection at Dusty's apiary. The weather here has been beautiful, but as each sunny day comes I get more antsy. I can't lose the green queen! Glad I've got you all for any panic! We have written down a plan of action for every situation, and I have equipment at the ready so I am well prepared.

Yikes!

You sound like you're off to war :)

Don't forget the flask of tea . . . . . :)

You sound like you're off to war :)

:icon_204-2:

I feel like it! Otherwise extremely gentle bees turned on me last year and I had to give up half way through and off they swarmed. He still trusts me! This green queen is the best queen I've experienced, I can't lose her!

To top it off we are at the end of a demaree on one hive, and we think the top box didn't raise a successful queen, so I've got all that to contend with. Oh well. Sink or swim time! I want huge congratulations and recognition if I get these bees through the next 2 weeks lol

Last edited:
Never mind the tea...Pims with ice sounds the order of the day ;-)

I'll probably need something stronger by the end of tomorrow. I am just picturing me surrounded by bees and boxes crying haha! One thing Dusty didn't tell me in the plan..........where he keeps the hard stuff :icon_204-2:

Just checked the weather for tomorrow and of course we are due thunderstorms. Same as last year. Last year I think it was a mix of storms in the air, cold, lack of forage and the beginning of swarm preps that made them turn. I'm just guessing, because I couldn't get a good enough look at them as they were coming at me off the comb, which they never do! I had gloves of bees. Dusty told me he'd had a word with them this year but they never listen to him lol

Last edited:
Kaz,
Breathe in deeply, breathe out again and off to go. Announce yourself when you open up and explain how Dusty has entrusted you to look after them. By now you will be half way through the frames. A few more kind and encouraging words and the inspection is done. It's surprising how talking to the bees can help calm the beek ;)

Kaz,
Breathe in deeply, breathe out again and off to go. Announce yourself when you open up and explain how Dusty has entrusted you to look after them. By now you will be half way through the frames. A few more kind and encouraging words and the inspection is done. It's surprising how talking to the bees can help calm the beek ;)

Thanks :) Just a bit nervy as I'm used to Dusty being there. Funny how you revert. I used to be at the school bees all the time on my own. I bet it goes really smoothly and wonder what all the fuss is about!

Better to worry before hand, worrying whilst you are in the middle of the inspection not so good. You will be fine though.

Better to worry before hand, worrying whilst you are in the middle of the inspection not so good. You will be fine though.

Thank you :) I've gone over the plan of action, I know how to demaree standing on my head, but I'm going to take the sheet and pin it up because what you know at home is completely different to what you know surrounded by thousands of confused bees. I'm not alone, Rob is coming to do the lugging. Quite surprised he agreed actually after last time lol. His only request was double gloves ;)

Just wondering if there is anyone nearby in case I make a complete cock up of it all, who can come and laugh at me? Obviously only necessary if things go the way of the pear........badly! :D I really don't want to lose another swarm.

Thanks :) Just a bit nervy as I'm used to Dusty being there. Funny how you revert. I used to be at the school bees all the time on my own. I bet it goes really smoothly and wonder what all the fuss is about!
He is still watching you!

I'm watching, Kaz!

Dusty
Just get some of his incense and pop it into the smoker and they won't even know he isn't there in the flesh!

Enjoy :)

He is still watching you!

Just get some of his incense and pop it into the smoker and they won't even know he isn't there in the flesh!

Enjoy :)

:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

Should have known! Heavenly eyes everywhere :icon_204-2:

Do not despair Dusty! I will tend those bees if it kills me...............maybe I shouldn't say that lol

Pity you are away! Had a call about "wasps" today that all arrived yesterday and are going into the roof of a bungalow. Could have had a trip and have a look. I asked if they were wasps or bees. It was the ex who rang me, he said " I don't bloody know! They look like those things you mess with! " Not wasps then :icon_204-2:

I'll probably need something stronger by the end of tomorrow. I am just picturing me surrounded by bees and boxes crying haha! One thing Dusty didn't tell me in the plan..........where he keeps the hard stuff :icon_204-2:

There must be some communion wine somewhere in the building, i am sure you will find it is you need it

What a curious experience!

Here we are, in Athens, 04:00, far too hot to sleep - and then I come across this thread.

So, having checked available flights (none), rail journeys (too slow), car hire options (far too expensive) and cost of a private jet :)icon_204-2::icon_204-2:) can I say I have full confidence in you, Kaz?

The gin is in the dining room; my son, a paramedic, will be there; and choirs of angels will flutter round the hives, breathing tranquility and peace on all concerned.

Now, where's that bottle of ouzo?

Dusty

Things aren't as bad as I thought, the storms won't hit here until much later in the day and its a lot cooler. I have back up now so am feeling a bit less worried. Quite looking forward to it!

No need for that private jet now Dusty! ;)

Just wondering if there is anyone nearby in case I make a complete cock up of it all, who can come and laugh at me? Obviously only necessary if things go the way of the pear........badly! :D I really don't want to lose another swarm.

I can be on the end of the phone if that helps.

I can be on the end of the phone if that helps.

Thank you! Pop me your number :)

I was just concerned that we would have storms again this year, as I think that was a big contributing factor to their bad behaviour last year. Its tricky arranging so far in advance, and its sods law that the weather has been lovely until the day I am going down there lol

Last edited:
Thank you! Pop me your number :)

I was just concerned that we would have storms again this year, as I think that was a big contributing factor to their bad behaviour last year. Its tricky arranging so far in advance, and its sods law that the weather has been lovely until the day I am going down there lol

Done! :)

It has gone a bit cooler here in Oldham but not much.

Now, where's that bottle of ouzo?

Καλημέρα Dusty
Είμαι βέβαιος ότι οι μέλισσες σας είναι ασφαλή με KAZZ. Ο Θεός θα παρακολουθήσουν πάνω της και να τους κρατήσει ασφαλή

Latest posts

Back