Drones?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
How many drones would one expect to see at this time of the year?

I have two hives outside and one obs hive.

Obs hive doesnt seem to have any.

One of the other hives doent seem to have any.

The other one has quite a few, and also from this hive there is also a lot of lavae being checked out.This same hive has for the last week been a lot more busy than the other one. Approx 4 time more bees about.
Some drones are flying. Some are walking on the board, some on the grass and quite few dead on the grass. I saw one try to get into the wrong hive and was soon set apon and ejected.

Not many. Of my 10 colonies only one has drones....and they are Italian mongrels and they seem keener on swarming and brooding than the others, so perhaps a link.

Some societies are more benevolent than others; often because they can afford to be. It also gives them a DNA reservoir to add to their inventoryl.

It's not unusual for some to take drones through the winter.

At the end of the day its the law of averages, as in on average bees evict drones, most do, a few don't.

PH

I did notice that they are evicting some but not paying any attention to others,, Could be "we'll get you later":reddevil:

It's not unusual for some to take drones through the winter.

Tom Jones revamp?:rofl:

I previously said

and also from this hive there is also a lot of lavae being checked out.

but yesterday and today there hasnt been any......warmer weather and therefore might have been chilled brood?
Thoughts please..

Queenright? they will keep drones if they have a queen problem even though she will never get mated now.

Dishmop,

Wouldn't worry too much, the drone eviction process is funny, sometimes they are all gone by Sep but sometimes they hang on until mid-winter and even until next summer.

Ben P

Dishmop,

Wouldn't worry too much, the drone eviction process is funny, sometimes they are all gone by Sep but sometimes they hang on until mid-winter and even until next summer.

Ben P
They dont seem too keen on staying at home tho.. Keep trying to get into the other hive. Big mistake....

Following the first frost last week, I found these lonely looking drones, thrown out!!

hood002.jpg

They looked nicely developed and I was surprised that as I stood looking at them, more were being dragged out!!

About the same as those which I had.

Made a mess in front of the hive but I think we have a hedgehog that comes into the garden and cleans up...

Hedgehog.. did nt think about that..

Do I need to get one for my hives when I start up soon? :laughing-smiley-014

Do I need a spare like most other things? :rofl:

Have a nice untidy, overgrown patch in your garden and watch out for them - then a few titbits (they like dog food, I am told).

I used to grow spuds under black poythene sheeting. One made me jump once when I disturbed her with her 'hoglets'. She soon moved them but we have regular visitors if not a resident hog in the garden. I like to watch them, shuffling around in the dark, with my night-vision viewer. They like honey comb, or the contents rather (probably the pupating larvae). Comb nicely cleaned back to the foundation.

Regards, RAB

They like puppy food, high protein.

They do not react well to the classic bread and milk.

They are the only animal I have had dealings with that defecated on their own food.

They usually are flea infested, cat spray sorts that out.

They are manageable in that their hibernation can be postponed by raising their temperature until they are heavy enough to go down safely. I used a heated green house.

They are demons for slugs so a vegetable garden benefits hugely. :)

PH

Cows milk gives them the squits - Goats milk is best for rearing hoglets then wean onto puppy food.:drool5:

dones in hive

I had a queen less hive this year so we put them with a stronger hive to winter over,
the stronger hive had all ready got rid off there drones but by putting the week hive with them we had drones still hatching from the frames on top.
so now they are still evicting drones daily. how ever the hive seems to be in good order. so bees will do what bees will do.

Latest posts

Back