Drones this late in november

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fahey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 national hives some 14x12 and 2 nucs
Just been over to Brittany for a few days, watching my neighbours bees for a minute on sunday, nice and sunny, noticed a drone returning to one of the hives. Not unusual I suppose but interesting so late in the season. Any beeks in the south still have drones?

Just been over to Brittany for a few days, watching my neighbours bees for a minute on sunday, nice and sunny, noticed a drone returning to one of the hives. Not unusual I suppose but interesting so late in the season. Any beeks in the south still have drones?

I had them last year around this sort of time

Yes ,only on one hive and a bit worried i have a drone layer in there due to bad mating during the poor summer weather...but we will see

Yes, a few drones over the last week or so still being kicked out. Though only fish are flying today in the torrential rain today.

(I wonder too if this might be a drone layer, but, as with MM, will have to wait and see.)

acabee

The presence of drones may also indicate colony preparation for queen replacement or perhaps she has very recently been replaced.
I saw this last year with our hives,
Sam

Yep saw one outside on two of the three hives. Watched to see if they were being kicked out but never came out again. If there happy then so be it!

Five colonies and visit them daily but haven't seen a drone for at least a month.

Its not generally a good sign.

Lots of our bees slaughtered the drones in late June.................some raised a fresh lot and butchered them in late August again. Some remained drone free from June onwards.

Only ones with drones this late have issues. (In eastern Scotland anyway)

Latest posts

Back