Drone rearing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We hive an archipelago of Ahvenanmaa between Sweden and Finland.
Bees were marked with paint and it was followed do they move in archipelago.

One bee was found in another hive 10 km away on different island.

We like to speak about marginal groups and about records, but what do majority?

That will not happen. Queens mate under 1 km distance when it has been measured the time what queens use in mating flights.

The queens usually fly for about 30 minutes, assuming speed of 10 miles/hr makes 'em go about 2.5 miles there and back. Drones will fly much further so can come from a much wider radius.
No need to send my drones to Kirbymoorside when they are already nearly there!

Hawklord may not want any Buckfast genes in his bees. The predominant bee in the area is the local mongrel, I'm not aware of anyone else keeping other strins or breeds, although there are Carniolans at Pickering.

The queens usually fly for about 30 minutes, assuming speed of 10 miles/hr makes 'em go about 2.5 miles there and back. .

No they do not. Get facts.

Maximun absent is 20 minutes. Mostly 3-4 .minutes

Worker flying speed is 20 km/h and with full load 25 km/h.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of anyone else keeping other strins or breeds

Guess they are fly enough to keep quiet about them!

Nos da

No they do not. Get facts.
I did. Under ideal conditions the average length of a queens mating flight is 15-30 minutes. Roberts, 1944, Ruttner 1956 (reference details available on request). Queens that return within 30 minutes have significantly more sperm in their spermatheca than queens whose flights exceed 30 minutes.
Perhaps they do it faster in Finland....

I did. Under ideal conditions the average length of a queens mating flight is 15-30 minutes. Roberts, 1944, Ruttner 1956 (reference details available on request). Queens that return within 30 minutes have significantly more sperm in their spermatheca than queens whose flights exceed 30 minutes.
Perhaps they do it faster in Finland....

Rutner writes 10-30 min.

Cant you read, 30 minutes is not average. IT is maximum.
Do not teach me on English reading.
Plaa plaa Finland. You do not find anything else perhaps in Great Britain.

Rutner writes 10-30 min.

Cant you read, 30 minutes is not average. IT is maximum.

No it isn't a maximum Finman. Re-read the results about queens taking longer than 30 minutes returning with less sperm. If they can take longer than 30 minutes, then 30 minutes is NOT a maximum flight time.

No it isn't a maximum Finman. Re-read the results about queens taking longer than 30 minutes returning with less sperm. If they can take longer than 30 minutes, then 30 minutes is NOT a maximum flight time.

You mean that 10-30 min is over 30 minutes.
You are right.

I did. Under ideal conditions the average length of a queens mating flight is 15-30 minutes. Roberts, 1944, Ruttner 1956 (reference details available on request).

Due to global warming, wind speeds are higher today so that Information might be out of date.

There are lots of Buckfast users around here. I know they're used in the FERA apiaries at Sand Hutton as well.

Observation of the Mating Behavior of Honey Bee (Apis mellifera L.) Queens Using Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID): Factors Influencing the Duration and Frequency of Nuptial Flights

Received: 17 December 2013; in revised form: 16 April 2014 / Accepted: 20 June 2014 / Published: 1 July 2014

insects-05-00513-g003-1024.png

Good info Finman, I calculated that the overall average (from all the data) is a mating flight of around 20 minutes, which fits in well with the previous quoted 15-30 minutes average from the old experiments.

MAAREC
(consortion of 6 universities USA)

About one week after emerging from a queen cell, the queen leaves the hive to mate with several drones in flight. Because she must fly some distance from her colony to mate (nature’s way of avoiding inbreeding), she first circles the hive to orient herself to its location. She leaves the hive by herself and is gone approximately 13 minutes. The queen mates, usually in the afternoon, with seven to fifteen drones at an altitude above 20 feet. Drones are able to find and recognize the queen by her chemical odor (pheromone). If bad weather delays the queen’s mating flight for more than 20 days, she loses the ability to mate and will only be able to lay unfertilized eggs, which result in drones.

Interestingly the paper you took that graph from found significant differences between the two locations concerning the number of flights queens undertook. But increasing drone density didn't affect this difference. Suggesting something else is going on that affects the frequency of the mating flights.
Have you seen that video from "more than honey" with the queen being filmed mating (not attached to a wire)?

Interestingly the paper you took that graph from found significant differences between the two locations concerning the number of flights queens undertook. But increasing drone density didn't affect this difference. Suggesting something else is going on that affects the frequency of the mating flights.
Have you seen that video from "more than honey" with the queen being filmed mating (not attached to a wire)?

Amazing difference in information. That is true.

I do not find the research what I read couple years ago.

Latest posts

Back