drone foundation for supers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can, or forgo foundation altogether and they'll draw drone comb. Anecdotally there is some opinion that worker cell cut comb looks nicer and attracts a higher price as a result, but I've no personal view on that.

Drone foundation not very good for CC, too thick a wax,best with thin CC foundation or starter strips.

Starter strip...a strip of foundation inserted into a frame as a guideline for the bees to build comb and cells straight and in the numbers they wish to (of drone/worker cell) as opposed to a full "wall-to-wall" sheet of foundation.

This is a route preferred in "natural" beekeeping, but that aside I suspect that more beekeepers will try this route this season with the escalating costs of frames and foundation.

Yes. However that inch will be worker and the rest drone and worker does I have to admit look better.

Another way, though with half the same problem is to cut the foundation sheets on the diagonal and mount them in the frames which are then positioned with a deep end next to a thin end and so on. However the empty space will again most likely be drone.

The other negative is that if your queen gets into the super..... lots and lots and lots of drones that you probably will not want. (and they are also hungry lads....)

PH

can i use unwired drone foundation in my supers for cut comb honey?

You can. But what you should be using is 'Thin' foundation especially for producing cut comb. The midrib will be too thick in the case of drone foundation - okay if you like chewing wax.

You can. But what you should be using is 'Thin' foundation especially for producing cut comb. The midrib will be too thick in the case of drone foundation - okay if you like chewing wax.

Uh-oh. Happily bought some standard unwired foundation thinking that was what was required for cut comb. Will it not be nice?

Yes you can, but do make sure that a queen excluder is fitted and working correctly, or you will get combs full of drone brood.

Latest posts

Back