Drone brood in super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2+1
I have a 14x12 brood box with three shallow supers on top. No queen excluder. All three supers are fairly full and I went to the apiary today planning on clearing the top one in order to return it.

Looking through it today I found that two neighbouring shallow frames in the middle of the box had a small area of drone brood in the bottom centre of the frames. One frames's brood was capped, as drones, the other not so not definitely drones on that frame I suppose. There are no gaps in the laying pattern, which covers about two inches deep by about four, arch-shaped. This is the top super. I decided to look further, so went through the other two supers, finding plenty of capped stores and no more brood. I went through the 'brood' box and found plenty of eggs, BIAS, and a queen. There was an empty drawn frame at the outside of the box - isolated from the brood area by stores. There were a few queen cups but nothing with eggs in.

I put a queen excluder onto this, then put the supers back, and decided to tear up the drone brood in the top super with the hive tool.

I hope that this will put a stop to it: that the queen wandered up there, laid a few eggs and wandered back down; that the bees will clear out the cells and fill them with honey; and that this is nothing to worry about. But I wonder if something else is going on. Could a weak queen be producing too little pheromone, allowing workers to lay eggs at the top? If so I can't think of anything I would do anyway, but maybe another beek has seen something similar, and taken some specific action? Should I encourage supercedure somehow, while there are still drones about for a good mating?

I've no reason to think there are two queens in this colony: it's the product of an artificial swarm earlier this year and I have since seen no queen cells with eggs or sealed in it.

Cheers, Mark

I do not use excluder. Queen lays sometimes to the upper frames, but it does not disturb be. They emerge some day off from cells and I can leave a brood frame into lower box..

Give more empty combs that bees can store nectar.

Brood in one super frame is really little amount.

Last edited:
As you didn't use an excluder it is not certain that the queen didn't lay the eggs however in my experience there are always a few laying workers in a hive and I have had plenty of drone (only drone) brood appear in supers before. Sometimes it's even the one directly above the QE.

I just let it hatch and then they fill the empty cells with honey.

No a bit problem most of the time.

Latest posts

Back