• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Drill and mixing propeller

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyBoy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None sadly retired
1 x mixing propeller with Champion 750 w electric drill for making soft set honey - £30

Been there and done it. This type will put small bits of plastic from the sides of the bucket into your honey, however careful you try to use it...

This type will put small bits of plastic from the sides of the bucket into your honey, however careful you try to use it...

1). Does it really matter if it is going to be fine filtered? It rather depends on the operator and how the impellor is arranged (as in being set up properly).

2). Not when used in a stainless steel ripener!

One needs to be careful that the brush material from these cheap items does not get into the product. The drive should be reserved for that duty and not used for building jobs. I don't rate that particular make - too cheap and cheerful.

RAB

1). Does it really matter if it is going to be fine filtered?

I don't rate that particular make - too cheap and cheerful.

I don't think the soft set honey is likely to be fine filtered in this case, but i do agree something more heavy duty, low geared, like a plaster mixing motor would be more suitable, and last longer.

The mixing propellor is sold by Thornes for £73.28 (2013 price): "100mm diam, all stainless steel. Can be powered by an electric drill (at least 600w) with a 12mm chuck. Blades can be purchased separately for fitting to your own 12mm shaft"

The drill has been used EXCLUSIVELY for set honey. I have creamed honey with total success and for many years with no problems whatsoever.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back