downsize to a nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatfeet

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
hi, first question on here,
I have two national hives; one is doing well although possibly not quite enough food for the winter so i have been feeding.
my other hive is from a swarm early summer, it's doing ok although only 4 frames of brood and food, probably not much chance of surviving, but creatures can surprise us
Question is, would it be beneficial to move the frames into a nuc my thinking is less area to keep to the correct temperature, I have a 5 frame nuc doing nothing at the moment.

Hi fatfeet and welcome
Yes moving the smaller colony into a poly nuc would be good.
I would question why an early summer swarm hasn’t built up to a full colony.
Can you tell us more about them?
Are you treating for varroa?

Hi fatfeet and welcome
Yes moving the smaller colony into a poly nuc would be good.
I would question why an early summer swarm hasn’t built up to a full colony.
Can you tell us more about them?
Are you treating for varroa?
hi, yes i have treated for varroa, the experienced keeper who keeps hives in the same area, (i don't often see him BTW) also doesn't know. there is a queen and even now there is larvae, this colony was a nuc from the same place i bought the full hive from, this person was a friend of the experienced keeper who has hives here, the nuc was placed in the national around beginning of August.
I am mistaken, the swarm i mentioned was to do with the other keeper.

So they have been in a full size hive for over two months and they aren't thriving. Did they draw any frames?
What's the inspection history...have you been looking in regularly?

You could add thymol to their syrup, there is a recipe on the forum Emulsified Thymol Mix or at a pinch Hive Alive

I have literally just done this. Moved 6 frames which had 4 with brood and food on into a NUC.

:welcome:
I had the same issue with a swarm this year.
Moved to a six frame nuc and fed.
They now occupy all six frames

In your location I suggest poly nucs only. If wooden, heavily insulated

:welcome:
I had the same issue with a swarm this year.
Moved to a six frame nuc and fed.
They now occupy all six frames

In your location I suggest poly nucs only. If wooden, heavily insulated
hi, yes I have just invested in a poly nuc with feeder, I will be moving them Saturday or Sunday, thanks for the info

hi, yes I have just invested in a poly nuc with feeder, I will be moving them Saturday or Sunday, thanks for the info
Then what?

Then what?
in the hope that they will overwinter better in the nuc and perhaps survive in the smaller space, my thinking is less volume to keep the temperature efficient. if this the wrong thinking, then please enlighten, I am open to any advice.

Depends on amount of bees on frames if you need to feed or not. I've just moved a few into nucs, 3 frames bees/stores plus 3 stores and will keep eye on them over winter.

Now what/feed - feed what?

Feed candy not syrup this time of year, in fact I avoid syrup and only use in Spring to fire things up depending on XYZ.

Depends on amount of bees on frames if you need to feed or not. I've just moved a few into nucs, 3 frames bees/stores plus 3 stores and will keep eye on them over winter.

Now what/feed - feed what?

Feed candy not syrup this time of year, in fact I avoid syrup and only use in Spring to fire things up depending on XYZ.
Have you been reading BC..still taking syrup down here!

Yeah syrup tends to turn mouldy if there are only a small amount of bees in the hive/nuc as they can't process it, also triggers wasps to wipe hives out. I've fed over a ton of candy over the past month or so, unprocessed feed sits on the hive till the bees decide they need it.

Very effective way of feeding and fast.

Last edited:
only 4 frames of brood and food, probably not much chance of surviving, but creatures can surprise us.
Have a bunch of mini poly mating hives with 3-6 mini frames and expect they will be fine over winter if looked after. As long as healthy you'll be surprised how robust they can be(e).

Latest posts

Back