double brood boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladaok

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Double brood lang's V 2 x singles ... I know there are many variables, .. but .. can anybody comment on honey take overall. I normally run singles, but many of my sites, I could double up,

Instead of spring splits, thinking one box expanding into 2, cuts the chance of early swarm and hopefully gives a good volume of bees for late summer split. ...only downside is playing checkers with the upper / lower boxes through the season

Personally I've found the size of the box doesn't seem to matter for yields, more the weather/location. As such, I'm gradually moving over to Jumbo Langstroths, with a normal-sized brood box on top, then supers. And I'll be replacing the supers as they wear out, with brood boxes. Got 35lbs off one hive last weekend.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Leave the excluder off from hives. Then you learn what bees do naturally.
Put the excluder on then later in yield season when you have seen how much each Queen lays.

I run normally 3 langstroth brood boxes. I hate one box layers. Toys.

Last edited:
I have a queen who can fill a 14x12 by mid May and am thinking of using double brood next year. Is this a good idea or will it not work.

I wonder why you try it next year?
Because my colony has swarmed a bunch of times and I am unsure whether they will exceed their brood box by autumn, if they do do you think I should try it.

Because my colony has swarmed a bunch of times and I am unsure whether they will exceed their brood box by autumn, if they do do you think I should try it.

If your bees are prolific then double brood is ideal. How many frames of brood do you have now. I have a few hives on double 14x12, which isn't ideal due to the weight of the boxes, but they have nearly filled both boxes.

IT depends, how good layer your new queen is. All queens are not two box layers. IT is half of June now.

I run jumbo langs... With our unpredictable weather, brood breaks ( due to foul cold wet weather) mean the brood box is never full of brood except in early May. Then it varies..

If we had a summer of wall to wall sunshine with overnight rain ---- but pigs don't fly.

I hasten to add: 150 meters above sealevel on the edge of the Peak District - so better climes will do better..

Perhaps if you had doubled up previously and given the queen sufficient laying space they might have swarmed in the first place I believe in the states Q/E's are a rarely used and the queen is allowed to expand into the boxes she needs to. I am not saying they have got it right but hey ho.

Latest posts

Back