Don't be complacent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've kept Bees for a long time now, and they never cease to surprise me, just when my mind is on other things, like supers enough stores etc etc etc
i failed to thoroughly check my Hives and the little B******s in one Hive swarmed yesterday ....... Oh what a fantastic hobby this is.:)

I've kept Bees for a long time now, and they never cease to surprise me, just when my mind is on other things, like supers enough stores etc etc etc
i failed to thoroughly check my Hives and the little B******s in one Hive swarmed yesterday ....... Oh what a fantastic hobby this is.:)

Such a relaxing pastime ;)

As I said to someone a month ago......you won't be the last one to see a swarm this year. They have had the longest year to my recollection, some have been feeding and with a full hive and hot weather......they will swarm!
Hope you caught them
E

As I said to someone a month ago......you won't be the last one to see a swarm this year. They have had the longest year to my recollection, some have been feeding and with a full hive and hot weather......they will swarm!
Hope you caught them
E
No they are hanging around very close to the Hive cannot reach the buggers, set a bait Hive on the off chance they really like me and will come back home :)

A mate that lives in Ammanford reported that there were scout bees around his air bricks last night.

If weather & forage good, it can happen.
I hope you manage to get them with your bait hive.

I picked up a massive swarm on Monday fills a 14x12 brood box.

Could it be swarms absconding because of Apiguard...

I've never had it before but two colonies have absconded, following several days of "agitation", after the application of apiguard. Got one back, but the other was in an out apiary. I've done everything as I usually do except that this year is that I am using apiguard from the bucket, not the pre-filled trays. I've been weighing the doses out. Has anyone else noticed anything like this, this year? Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? Or do I just put it down to the joys of beekeeping...?

I've never had it before but two colonies have absconded, following several days of "agitation", after the application of apiguard. Got one back, but the other was in an out apiary. I've done everything as I usually do except that this year is that I am using apiguard from the bucket, not the pre-filled trays. I've been weighing the doses out. Has anyone else noticed anything like this, this year? Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? Or do I just put it down to the joys of beekeeping...?
One of my colonies basically all got out of the hive and clustered on the front. They were treated the same as all the others. I thought they were going to go. It was a polyhive so I lifted the lid one side for the vapour to escape and wedged it slightly open. Thankfully they went back in. After two days I replaced the lid last night. All appears normal this morning.

Chemical activity is very temperature dependent... Hotsun on an uninsulated hive may give very different results than the makers intent.
The rate of dispersal is also surface area dependent so you may get a higher initial air concentration from the looser diy dose compared to prepacked trays.

Hi Derek,

I take your point about the temperature in the hive - I have treated later than usual this year, but the weather is probably still as warm, or warmer, than recent Augusts! The gel in the bucket seems to be sloppier than in the trays (I did stir it well, as per instructions, in case anyone is wondering!), though the consistency doesn't seem to be temperature dependent. I did spread it over the whole of the card, so it will be presenting a greater surface area which, as you say, will lead to more rapid dispersal. Thanks for that - I will try a smaller, more squat blob when I put the second tray in the remaining colonies.

The gel has been cleared out much more quickly than in previous years in all colonies: in many it has been completely removed in less than 10 days this year - compared with plenty still remaining after 14, previously.

Has anyone else noticed any difference between pre-pack and bucket?

thanks

I checked an out-apiary today, planning on treating and they were hanging out the front. Quick check and they are getting packed with ivy stores. I will be going back tomorrow to give them some space and go through to make sure their not thinking of bxxing off.
S

Latest posts

Back