does Apiguard deter wasps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BB King

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a colony on a farm on the edge of a field where there is a large presence of wasps, the ivy now in flower has more foraging wasps than bees. Around the reduced hive entrance bees are continually fending of several wasps. The hive itself is free of wasps and I was wondering if the Apiguard was detering the wasps, if the bees hate it I guess the wasps would too.

Last edited:
Apiguard hasn't stopped wasps trying to raid my bee's supplies, fortunately the guard bees have done for them though !

I noticed with the apiguard on there are more bees hanging around the entrance, which has increased the number alert to wasp attacks. It may not be the apigaurd, but a side effect of it - more bees "volunteer" for guard duty to escape the fumes!

NM

Last edited:
we certainly seemed to have more wasps around with thymol in the hives, but of course it could just have been a coinciidence ?

Now you mention it, I've noticed a lot less wasps trying to get in the hives since the Apiguard went on too.

I wondered that today too; I found three dead wasps lying directly outside the hive entrance - the first time I've ever seen the bees win by that big a margin.

Wasps don't mind it at all. The bees may cough and splutter but the wasps act as if they're saying, "Bring it on!"

Interestingly the earwigs are either now dead or totally gone in my hives! had like many people quite a lot above the crown board, I have just put the second week of apilife var on and found several dead wigs up top and no others in the hive!:D

Latest posts

Back