Does anyone use alcohol to remove propolis?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-20 depending
I tried using sodium carbonate to clean prop off a poly nuc. box, with very little success. I do not want to use sodium hydroxide.

Rusty at HoneyBeeSuite talks about using alcohol (ethyl or isopropyl). Does anyone here have any experience of that? As the season winds down, my biggest challenge is going to be poly boxes.

I only use alcohol to clear propolis when it is in the back of my throat! :)

I use propolis dissolved in meths for 'varnishing' the inside of my timber hives ... saves the bees doing it and gives the 'new' hive a lovely 'old' hive smell.

I'm fairly sure that Rusty uses wooden hives. Check carefully before using chemical solvents on your polystyrene hives. It may work as you hope it will, it may not.

yes, I know

But there are a lot out there that might think meths is not (almost) the same as alcohol (denatured, to avoid people drinking it). White spirit may well work as well.

RAB

Alcohol is expencive cleaning material, and it is not healthy to hands. It evaporates quickly.

Trying abandons good method and then he wants to use something very odd.

Actually poly hive gathers propolis very little.

Last edited:
Meths is about 90% ethanol and about 10% methanol with additives to make it taste nasty. Methanol is very poisonous nasty hangover and permanent damage possible. OK solvent and easier to get and much cheaper than ethanol.

Latest posts

Back