Do you think these are trapped

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
i was asked to look at a hive today to check the fondant for a friend ( who is in NZ on hols)

ok the fondant had about 2kg left and a few bees in it, hefted, a bit light, 3C so only a quick look and closed the lid

However, the hive had the varroa board in, so checked it, see photo,

Quite concerned they are stranded in the NE corner by the location of the new brood debris The Hive faces south, frames cold way, brood debris in NE corner only

any veiws , i don't want him to find bees starving heads in when he returns, i never leave the varroa board in mine over winter, so dont know what normal winter drop looks like

other hives on the site seem to have normal brood patterns with brood droppings more central

Last edited:
Had similar today with one hive "rescued " last November (was 12 degrees then!!)
Uncappings to one side of varroa floor... I leave mine in here, cos the Atlantic wind is a tad cool!!!
I know I shoud not have popped the super off... but I found a blanking board/frame with 4 brood frames clustered to one side,,, loads of stores in the super above frames
Pulled the blanker and replace with an partly full of stores one.

Now I just have to keep my fingures crossed!

yes ,if it gets to 14c or near, i might add a frames of stores on the north for him

Looks virtually identical to one mine, all bundled into a corner. No problem. I don't bother with putting the varroa tray in the OMH unless I am checking the drop. Got down to -17C in this frost pocket and that particular hive is livelier than the others, albeit with Apifonda in a tray on top of the frames in 1+1/2 BB. I never give more that 1/2 kg at a time though - wasted if they don't want/need it and in any case any more means that some often ends up dripping right through and out of the OMF on to the concrete slabs.

I would be inclined not to do a re-arrangement. It is just the way that the foodstores have ended up in the hive. A 'spanner in the works' springs to mind.

But the first job of the season would be to rearrange the frames to a more central location.

Back