Do you provide drinking water for your bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you provide drinking water for your bees?

• Yes

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Have done in the past

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Didn't know bees needed water

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm glad to see you feeding your little darlings pure spring water.
I don't understand these people who think it's acceptable to drink water out of a tap - not from a 100% plastic bottle
You are missing a nice little earner there ... Brynmair Water - Personally passed by the management ...

I'm glad to see you feeding your little darlings pure spring water.
I don't understand these people who think it's acceptable to drink water out of a tap - not from a 100% plastic bottle

That bottle is refilled with tap water. Can you understand that? Plastic is high quality. No smell of plastic.

Wilfred you may regard some of the replies as flippant but your on a uk forum. For the vast majority providing water is not an issue nor should it’s source (cow pat) be an issue. You in no way need to attract bees to any water, if you provide the right conditions they will find it!! Having spent a decent amount of time in Melbourne and it can get hot. Most Aussies I know get cold down there. I’d imagine there are only a limited number of times you’d even need to think about it. The main reason I’d think any source was needed was to prevent a nuisance in neighbouring swimming pools. To sum up bees like warm water(probably not an issue for you)a sunny spot is good. The crapper the source the more stinky or dubious the more likely the bees are to prefer it😂 Don’t over complicate the whole issue or overly worry there are quite literally thousands of other aspects of beekeeping that you should be improving on before this should be on the radar. Stick a damp shallow peat tray under a dripping tap/irrigation in a sunny spot job done. It really is as simple as that! Ian
If you're in a hot area where air-conditioning is in use stick a tray of soil under the condensate drip pipe of a split Aircon system.

Pond,water butt's and they love the guttering in my shed

I used to raise bees near the river, but then I had to move and there are no nearby bodies of water in the area any more. I started giving them a saucer of water. A friend of mine who is also a herder advised me. I also add a little lemon, it's good tonic lemon water, the bees sometimes lick it. I use it all the time myself. Probably no point in praising the citrus. Everybody knows how beneficial it is from childhood. Regular use of lemon water at night helps me to get rid of insomnia and avoid taking medicines. I also find it very invigorating in the morning. And another important point - it`s advisable to drink water with lemon 30 minutes before meals.

Latest posts

Back