Do you provide drinking water for your bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Do you provide drinking water for your bees?

• Yes

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Have done in the past

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Didn't know bees needed water

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
I love it!

Perhaps some pools are a little saltier than others.....

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
We have a small (2mx1m) garden pool with moss and oxtgentaing plants and tadpoles. Bees visit it all day in hundreds..

Just had to top it up due to dry weather.. Local frog not too impressed.

Amari 

Drone Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Last edited:

understanding_bees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
My understanding is that one reason a water supply is regulated here is to provide an alternative water source for the bees other than backyard swimming pools. Swimming pools are particularly attractive apparently....such pools are an obvious urban bee water source and I also understand the water gets a little salty with the constant evaporation.
I have been thinking about the problems which may be caused by bees drinking from "non-approved" water sources, such as neighbour's swimming pools. We don't want to upset the neighbours, but neither do we want the bees to drown.

There have been comments about the difficulties of retraining bees, to encourage them to utilise "approved" water resources provided by a beekeeper. I wonder whether it may be appropriate, or effective, to place a small amount of honey (or honeycomb, etc) in a suitable shallow container which is placed in the middle of the desired watering place. It seems that bees are very successful in locating even small amounts of honey which is outside of their hive, so presumably that would quickly find that honey at the watering place. Would this be enough to get the bees to realise that they should also get their water at this spot?

Gilberdyke John 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have been thinking about the problems which may be caused by bees drinking from "non-approved" water sources, such as neighbour's swimming pools. We don't want to upset the neighbours, but neither do we want the bees to drown.

There have been comments about the difficulties of retraining bees, to encourage them to utilise "approved" water resources provided by a beekeeper. I wonder whether it may be appropriate, or effective, to place a small amount of honey (or honeycomb, etc) in a suitable shallow container which is placed in the middle of the desired watering place. It seems that bees are very successful in locating even small amounts of honey which is outside of their hive, so presumably that would quickly find that honey at the watering place. Would this be enough to get the bees to realise that they should also get their water at this spot?
Pretty soon there'll be a cloud of your bees, any other colony's bees, a multitude of other insects etc around it until it's cleaned up. Great way to distribute disease.

Ian123 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
It's a legal requirement in some municipalities here .... we seem to be generally more regulated here with regard to beekeeping.
That’s because you have lots of swimming pools😂

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My nearest swimming pool is six miles away so I'm probably safe

Arfermo 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Enough
Don't need to give mine water as I have a stream running 50 yards down the length of my rear garden. In passing, I attended a course on beekeeping run by the Chairman of a BKA i used to be a member of many years ago. This 'expert' said it was essential to provide ones bees with water so I mentioned my stream and that my bees flock to it when they need a drink - or whatever (to pee?). His amazing, and naturally thoroughly researched, response was that 'bees don't like cold water'. Bloody clown despite having been a senior teacher in a technical academy and frequently on TV!! See why I resigned my membership?

Malcolm Stamp 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I had a problem with my bees going next door and being a nuisance and even clogging the flue of their condensing boiler. The solution was a plastic trig full of water, some floating wooden blocks and a very cheap solar fountain. This is now the star attraction for the bees, their version of the Costa Del Pigging Sol.

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
By the look of the poll, I think many on here believe that their bees never leave the confines of their back gardens to forage

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I wonder whether it may be appropriate, or effective, to place a small amount of honey (or honeycomb, etc) in a suitable shallow container which is placed in the middle of the desired watering place. It seems that bees are very successful in locating even small amounts of honey
Exactly - surefire way of triggering a robbing frenzy in the locale of the 'bait' source.
You'll have every bee and wasp in the area coming to explore the new food source.
And let's not talk about the possibility of disease spread.

hemo 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
Tbh I see no need to supply watering stations, as per JBK let the bees naturally forage.
Wet moss, ponds, water courses, puddles, birdbaths, dew and damp earth etc ,etc, there are many plenty of opportunities for bees to forage for water without needing to supply a dedicated source.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a pond behind the bees and they use the shallow sunny banks as well as the wet grass that surrounds them

Latest posts