Do wild colonies swarm themselves to death?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides, I know of one beekeeper who describes his operation like that. He is one of the biggest in Sweden.

What is missing here is the understanding that the gaining of resistance is a process. What was true 10 years ago isn't necessarily true today. Further, different condition in different places result in different outcomes.

I'm sure you can see where this leads...

I've seen a couple of feral colonies over the years that swarmed repeatedly in the spring with the parent colony dying afterwards. I've also seen this in a couple of my colonies where three swarms left and there was no virgin queen to rebuild the parent colony. This could easily occur if the parent colony kept a virgin queen that was killed while on a mating flight or it may have been in one of the swarms that left.

I've seen a couple of feral colonies over the years that swarmed repeatedly in the spring with the parent colony dying afterwards. I've also seen this in a couple of my colonies where three swarms left and there was no virgin queen to rebuild the parent colony. This could easily occur if the parent colony kept a virgin queen that was killed while on a mating flight or it may have been in one of the swarms that left.

When bees swarm in nature, quite few colonies stays alive. If the colonies do not die, they would fill the earth with their nests. Who would then know, why they died.

Colony number would imcrease 200% in a year. It would be a huge increase.

Parent hive + 2 swarms.

Latest posts

Back