Do wasps buzz?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clare p

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
1 new Nuc and a swarm caught on the 10th July
A swarm I caught and hived in May left the following day and have not been seen since.
But.. lately at night in bed I have been hearing a tic tic tic noise in the skeeling above my head. I had a look yesterday and could see insects flying in by our chimney tiles, from a distance they look like bees, their purposeful departure and on their return I think I can see pollen baskets, but without a ladder I am not sure.
I then this morning had a listen through the wall and they were humming/buzzing.
It should be easy to remove the skeeling area and retrieve them (if they are bees)
What is the best time of day to do this?
Morning I am guessing so that most of them are home, midday we would only get the house bees and the flying ones will perish, evening and if it goes wrong we have to sleep on the sofa!
Any more suggestions?
Thanks in advance

WASPS!!!!

The popping or ticking noise is the young wasps in the nest.

The buzzing noise is wasps fanning the nest to cool it down.

It is in a part of the house where we get wasps nests every year. I am just being a bit hopeful that it is the missing swarm. I suppose we need to go up the ladder to have a close look
xxx

A swarm I caught and hived in May left the following day and have not been seen since.
But.. lately at night in bed I have been hearing a tic tic tic noise in the skeeling above my head. I had a look yesterday and could see insects flying in by our chimney tiles, from a distance they look like bees, their purposeful departure and on their return I think I can see pollen baskets, but without a ladder I am not sure.
I then this morning had a listen through the wall and they were humming/buzzing.
It should be easy to remove the skeeling area and retrieve them (if they are bees)
What is the best time of day to do this?
Morning I am guessing so that most of them are home, midday we would only get the house bees and the flying ones will perish, evening and if it goes wrong we have to sleep on the sofa!
Any more suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Not sure if they buzz, but they might humm if they don't know the words. (Sorry).

Back