Do two colonies grow faster than one?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These jars are around my mating nucs, the most vulnerable, and as you can see, under threat from large numbers.
probably being attracted by the low efficiency traps when those that escaped went away and came back with their mates

I don't need your advice, or your ethical critique.
Why post on a open forum and at the same time resist comment arising?

Perhaps you prefer tame agreement with your views? If so, you've come to the wrong place.

If wasp predation is a regular problem and dealt with using routine methods, one or the other must change (and it ain't going to be wasps).

Last edited:
Yes, as I've said I bait them in them. Please pay attention.
I am paying attention, and whatever you may believe - all the traps you have are low efficiency ones. all you are doing is inviting every wasp in the area to a freeforall

Why post on a open forum and at the same time resist comment arising?
Becaue you are trying to lecture me, and criticise me from an ethical standpoint. Both are pretty passive-aggressive, not to mention unwarrented.
Perhaps you prefer tame agreement with your views? If so, you've come to the wrong place.
Do you think I don't know that? :) :) :) You must have a very short memory!

Perhaps you prefer tame agreement with your views. Perhaps you are trying to remind me and others that its 'your' place? Chiefs are always right, don't you know?
If wasp predation is a regular problem and dealt with using routine methods, one or the other must change (and it ain't going to be wasps).
Not sure what you mean by that, but a wasp problem that blew up less than two weeks ago was quickly controlled and is no longer a problem. Some people here might find what they've learned as a result of this exchange useful. Where's the beef exactly?

I am paying attention, and whatever you may believe - all the traps you have are low efficiency ones. all you are doing is inviting every wasp in the area to a freeforall
If every wasp that falls into a trap doesn't get out again, and large numbers collect inside, I'm not sure how you can describe that as low efficiency. Do you sell unnecessary wasp traps by any chance? Does a mate of yours?

Not at all. I'm finding this hugely entertaining.
I'm not just entertained but inspired. I'm thinking of starting a new business making wasp houses and hanging them a mile away. Beekeepers who find it necessessary to kill wasps can pay to have me house a compensating colony. I'll even feed them (an extra cost). I'll put little video cameras up so you can watch your very own wasps come and go.

Wasp-neutral beekeeping. Anyone interested?

Last edited:
I'm not just entertained but inspired. I'm thinking of starting a new business making wasp houses and hanging them a mile away. Beekeepers who find it necessessary to kill wasps can pay to have me house a colony. I'll even feed them (an extra cost) I'll put little video cameras up so you can watch your very own wasps come and go.

.......put mouseguards on them as well, that should keep rodents out of your hives. ;)

I only use high efficiency wasp traps convinced by wasps natural history, it makes sense. Low efficiency just attract more wasps to the site.
Each to his own
so can we see what a high e wasp trap looks like?

I find watching and trying different things is best. Going after the queens is an interesting idea, but I'm sure Dani will have kittens at the millions of wasp-lives denied ;)
e?

sry me , but i dont understand

anyway guess i dont need to also.......

so jep, experiment is good more if targetted and timely

gl with that

A serious question at last....what is a "high-efficiency" wasp trap. I assume that it is one from which wasps don't escape and which only catches wasps? In a recent Richard Noel @Plenty of honey video, he showed (I think) hornet traps fitted at the back of hives and was catching them within minutes of placement.

I'm not just entertained but inspired. I'm thinking of starting a new business making wasp houses and hanging them a mile away. Beekeepers who find it necessessary to kill wasps can pay to have me house a colony. I'll even feed them (an extra cost) I'll put little video cameras up so you can watch your very own wasps come and go.

Maybe add it to your portfolio of interests...

OK, regarding the original question, there must be a tipping-point at which two colonies will grow faster than one; otherwise there would be no point in attempting increase. I wouldn't have hundreds of thousands of bees if I had chickened out last year and combined my (then) six colonies down to three.

OK, regarding the original question, there must be a tipping-point at which two colonies will grow faster than one; otherwise there would be no point in attempting increase. I wouldn't have hundreds of thousands of bees if I had chickened out last year and combined my (then) six colonies down to three.
You only need enough bees to get them through winter and be able to get going in the spring. I have one colony that dwindles to maybe three frames every winter but it was one of my main producers.

Just been observing the hives from the outside this morning and witnessed a couple of wasps try and get into the small queenless colony. They were chased back out.

There’s another beekeeper who has hives in the same apiary…a couple of them died out last winter and I’m pretty sure one now has a wasps nest inside judging by the activity at the entrance. I’ve contacted him to come and sort it.

I’m going to move my small queenless colony into the 6 frame nuc pictured below as they’ve just been in a temporary box.

I’ve jammed some cable ducting into the entrance. Do you think this will enable them to defend against wasps or could I/should I do better?

View attachment 33097
I've not seen anything like that on a hive. I'm not saying it wouldn't work but as I said earlier, I'd probably reduce the entrance to a hole just a bit bigger than a drone. You're keeping a good close eye on them, so if the small entrance/exit hole doesn't stop the wasp issue, you can try additional methods.
What you need to be super careful of now is the proposed move of the small colony into another box. You'll have just one sealed queen cell there from what you've previously said (all going well) which will be very easily damaged moving frames around and also prone to chilling (which will sometimes kill the larva inside or cause deformation of the wings).

Latest posts

Back