Do I give them a Second Chance?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same problem with six colonies in one out apiary, highly aggressive bees. Two in particular. Tried to re-queen two this year and failed, splits from these hive show the same if not worse traits. Incredibly good honey gatherers, which was the main reason I tolerated the behaviour to a certian extent, but they stepped over the mark when they started following as well.

2011 Plans

Replacement queens for next year are already ordered for April, and then a further decision will be made in the summer when I find out how my own queen rearing goes as I want to equalise my stocks i.e. get them all 'similar' or at least not have the extremes where one colony = no smoke, no gloves etc. ASBO BEES= lots of smoke, two beesuits and double gloves.

I can understand the reticence to kill a queen (or six), but my mistake was not taking decisive action sooner.

Did anyone notice any difference to how well the aggro hives fared against wasps as opposed to the docile hives?

This last season (My first full one) my bees are very docile, so docile in fact I probably defended the hives against wasps better than the girls did, some wasps were just lading and walking in like one of the family.

Did anyone notice any difference to how well the aggro hives fared against wasps as opposed to the docile hives?

This last season (My first full one) my bees are very docile, so docile in fact I probably defended the hives against wasps better than the girls did, some wasps were just lading and walking in like one of the family.

I found my most docile colony was the most aggressive towards wasps, meeting the wasps in flight before they even got to the hive.

I think critical mass may play a role. My ASBO bees were also my largest/strongest colony on 2&1/2 brood (14x12+Std) they took no prisoners (and I suspect went on wasp nest raiding parties just for the hell of it).

The late swarm I hived (first week July) had only built to say 8 frames of 14x12 by wasp season and had a much harder time of it (I found a few wasps under the crown board sometimes, the other two colonies were fine but then they filled 14x12's so were 'big' colonies in standard national terms.

So
Q: "critical mass more significant in defending the colony than temperament?"
A: "Yes (IMO)"

I think critical mass may play a role. My ASBO bees were also my largest/strongest colony on 2&1/2 brood (14x12+Std) they took no prisoners (and I suspect went on wasp nest raiding parties just for the hell of it).

I love the idea of your bees kicking the c**p out of wasp nests, singing " 'ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go" as they do so. :)

Same situation with mine: 1 of my 2 colonies is seriously agressive. Hoping to (by chance) pick up a gentle swarm next summer and then raise a queen with which I will re-queen the agressive lot.

Ben P

I used to think that the critical mass of a colony was one of the main determinants in deciding how gentle they were... but after a few years and quite a few stings I think that there are 2 more important things;

1. the temperament of the bees/genetics of the queen
2. the skills of the beekeeper

:troll:

I had some that were vandalised many years ago, they never forgot & would always greet any visitors. That queen is the only I have ever wanted/needed to squash. Requeening solved my problem. Yours maybe OK, but I would put it at the top of my action list for that hive next season. Just have a plan in mind as to selecting which your breeder Queen maybe for whatever reason.

Latest posts

Back