DIY plastic drawn-out foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good idea ... like this one - sometimes I wonder whether they even need frames ! Great construction experts ...

That's a wonderful example which shows what the bees will draw if allowed to decide cell size for themselves - something like 25% drone comb. That may not be what honey-farmers want, but it's a lot healthier for the gene pool.

LJ

That's a wonderful example which shows what the bees will draw if allowed to decide cell size for themselves - something like 25% drone comb. That may not be what honey-farmers want, but it's a lot healthier for the gene pool.

LJ

Yes ... there was a lot of drone comb in the hive in mid-summer but they stopped drone rearing about the end of August and there's very few, if any, drones in the colony now. I'm hoping to go through them for the last time this season today or tomorrow depending on the weather so it will be interesting to see what they have done with all that comb ... They are busy today ... Ivy I think from the direction they are going.

Just being curious (or nosey ... :) ) - don't you ever feel the need for a second hive, even just as an 'insurance' back-up ?

LJ

Just being curious (or nosey ... :) ) - don't you ever feel the need for a second hive, even just as an 'insurance' back-up ?

LJ

Most certainly, I'm only a temporary one hive owner ... next hive will be spring next year and hopefully a split from the lovely colony I have at present.

The next hive will be another long hive but a much lighter construction using 50mm Kingspan with a 5mm plywood skin on the inside and 5mm recycled plastic sheet on the outside and a timber frame for rigidity (plans already in my head).

I have room for two hives at home in the garden and two allotments which would each acommodate at least one and possibly two hives. I just felt, this year, as it was very much an experimental hive, that I would not make more than one in case there were things that I felt needed modification ... which has been the case. There are a number of minor things that needed changing and the next hive will incorporate them.

In a couple of years my retirement will be to a smallholding and the plan is for between 10 and 12 hives at that point. But not rushing into it ...it's not a money making venture.

Latest posts

Back