DIY Extractor.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torq

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 Hives, 4 Nucs.
Hi Guys,
I'm going to put together a home made extractor and am looking for a few pics of commercially manufactured ones. I'm specifically interested in how the frame cage is supported, is there a bottom bearing supporting the cage or is is suspended from the top bearing.
TIA
Torq

Mine (and likely most) simply runs (point contact) on a ball bearing in the housing at the bottom of the tank with a bush, or the bearing carrier, offering lateral support . The ball bearing is free to rotate, but I doubt it does very much as the contact area with it's cup is far larger than the contact with the cage shaft.

The bearing cup assembly could (should) be easily sourced from a supplier as it looks to be an eventual wearing item.

Regards, RAB

Here's my list of collected components so far.

White food grade plastic dustbin €37
B&Q 1000w router €15
B&Q White powdercoated tubular steel table leg €7
2 x 12" circular cake cooling racks. TK Max €10
1M m10 stainless steel rod
10mm thrust bearing €7
10mm radial bearing €8

Haven't decided if I''ll hang the cage from the thrust bearing or sit the assembly on top.

Should take 6 frames but I'll probably run it with 3

I'll have pics once I put it together but I've a new arrival due this saturday so there could be a bit of a delay!

Torq

Prototype built, tested and already gone out on loan!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr0dvgM_H8M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr0dvgM_H8M[/ame]

Router was way too fast, first 2 frames exploded. I then ran it with an 18v drill or by hand giving me more control and 11lb of honey.

The router? Yes, I think upwards of 20 000rpm would be a little on the speedy side. Or did it have a speed controller? (down to c. 10 000 rpm). That would be much better - but still a lttle too fast. A few hundred rpm is all it would stand, I would think, even with heavy duty cake cooling racks!

But well done, it works. Onwards to a decent cage and you will have an extractor which will be adequately robust and last for years.

Bottom bearing needs to be suitable for use as food contact, unless you are simply using honey as the lubricant.

RAB

18,000 is the lowest speed on the router so it's gone back to what it does best, making dovetails. Either that or I'll find a way of dropping the speed more or gearing it down.

The cake racks racks are a weak link, the chrome plated mild steel and will be replaced by stainless once I find a cheap source and of a larger diameter.

The bottom thrust bearing was run dry and after cleaning has rusted so it'll also be replaced with a food grade stainless equivalent.

All in all I'm happy with the design and over the winter I'll improve on the build.

sewing machine motor with speed control foot pedal

OK for power, but would need a 20:1 reduction gearbox or some other speed reducing mechanism.

Hi Torq

Have you fitted a honey tap?

Where did you get your Thrust and radial bearing from?

Last edited:
Hi Torq

Have you fitted a honey tap?

Where did you get your Thrust and radial bearing from?

The honey tap is a cork from a bottle of blackwoods gin!

I got the bearings from a local bearing factors, you'll probably find one local to you in the yellow pages.

On thinking about a motorized version, I've a controller somewhere in the shed for a train set. All I'll need is an appropriate motor and the jobs done!

buy a plaster mixing drill from tool station or screw fix for a £30, high torques very slow speeds

if you want high torque and low speeds you cant do better than the engine out of a helicopter such as a whirlwind or wessex - jet engines of course :) They use them in tractor pulling contests quite small things really. Alright overkill for a honey extractor but they look good fun.

Hmmmm. Jet powered honey extractor. I've been looking for an excuse to get a jet engine and a hovercraft was just too impractical.

Obviously, like Japanese motor cycle engines, the secret is in the gearbox!

HP and jet engines? The thought doesn't bear thinking about.

Obviously, like Japanese motor cycle engines, the secret is in the gearbox!

HP and jet engines? The thought doesn't bear thinking about.

nope it s not the gearbox! the output turbine thats connected to the tractor wheels or rotor has a gear box reduction of only about a 3 to 1 . It the fact that the output turbine shaft is not connected to the compressor turbine shaft. So its a torque convertor.
When I first saw one on these tractors I was gobsmacked at how compact the whole unit was.

Hi Torq
Been really thinking about your project and having a go myself.

Now for the really "stupid" question could I use a new B + Q water butt, as I have one surplus, for the vessel?

I assume plastic is plastic when for own use or will it taint taste of honey?

Latest posts

Back