Disease recognition comb workshops

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarynWebb

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Went to the Disease recognition comb workshop in Cardiff today and would recommend to all if they can get on one, It was free and Frank Gellatly, Regional Bee Inspector Wales and his team where great!

It was nice being able to see AFB and EFB infected combs and handle them also the other diseased combs, far better than looking at books, plus there was a quiz.

But really if you can get the chance to get on one of these take it, you will learn quite a few things.

Thanks, I'll look out for one in my area.

Bit scary handling the combs- I think I might want to bath in bleach before going back to my bees!

I was very mindful and I kept my hands locked together just so I didn't touch any thing else and the gloves, they where disposed of at the end, they also had hand cleaning products for us to use, my clothes will go in the wash before I go anywhere near my bees but it was great to see these things in the flesh :)

Are they organised by BBKA or local assoc. Basically - how do you get to go on one??

Are they organised by BBKA or local assoc. Basically - how do you get to go on one??

Hi Jackbee, We had one with our local association but, if thats not being organised at the mo, they have a session at the convention on the Sunday.
Well worth it:.)

Hi Jackbee, We had one with our local association but, if thats not being organised at the mo, they have a session at the convention on the Sunday.
Well worth it:.)

cheers :)

I thought the session the other week at KSRC Sittingbourne was well worthwhile. Sounds very similar, right down to the quiz.

EFB *is* hard to spot unless seriously advanced.
AFB does smell horrible (and distinctive).

The big 'take away' concept was - if there's something odd in the brood that you are worried about, call the Bee Inspector. No need to order a test kit or to put off calling for any other reason. They don't bite and they'll tell you the truth about whether or not there is disease in the hive.
If you *suspect* AFB or EFB, the law says you *must* call them.

Oh, and even when you think all your hives are healthy, do wash your hive tool and gloves between every hive - in ordinary washing soda solution. Any addition (like bleach, Jeyes Fluid, Dettol ... ) was said to reduce its effectiveness!

The workshop was organised jointly between Cardiff Vale and Valleys Association and the Regional Bee Inspector. Frank has organised these rght across Wales, it maybe that other RBIs have done the same.

Definitely a worhtwhile afternoon.

Latest posts

Back