Dimwit of the year award

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngyoungs

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
More than 4
An opportunity at the end of the season to allow us to confess to those things which we have done, or ought not to have done (apologies Dusty).

Mine for starters (yesterday)
I wondered why one colony hadn't taken down any syrup over the last two weeks.

I moved the feeder only to find a piece of slate covering up the access from the hive below and handily preventing the bees from getting into the feeder!!

Doh!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Drove 30 miles to replace queens at an out apiary only to find I had left them at home!
Had to drive all the way back to collect and drive back then did the same with supers later in the year.........you would think I would check before setting off !
S

.........you would think I would check before setting off !
S

Pushing against an open door here .... daren't confess to some of my stupidity - mostly involves forgetting anything that is not surgically attached to me - driving huge distances only to find that the vital bit I needed was somewhere else ... usually where I started from ! !

I always used my tobacco packet as a note pad to stop me forgetting but now I'v given up smoking I'm in one hell of a mess SWMBO said I would forget my head if it wasn't screwed on but little does she know its not. I need one of those picture flip card things and keep the ones I need that day lol

I like a man that can make up his mind and resolutely stand by his decision . . . What chance was that Redwood? :)

I think actually that you made the right decision the first time . . . too many sins to write about I'm sure and GCHQ and DIRNSA are probably listening to all the confessions about operational errors whilst operating autonomous micro aviators that come and go from your landing strips fully armed.

Ooops, got to go, that's Ellen Ochoa on the phone from JSC Houston.

That would be Texas, where I believe all the biggest bull comes from! :)
So how much per pound thrust do you sell your organic aviation fuel for - as used and endorsed globally to fuel micro aviators from time immemorial.

Last edited:
Many years ago I took the dog for an evening walk - a mile from the house a plaintive whining from the direction of home reminded me that the dog was still in the kennel!

Worse I think this year was putting on an English feeder on a swarm in an out apiary that I'd hived over a week hence on a temporary stand which wasn't level (I found that out after filling the dashed thing)on the way back from fishing; it needed chocking up front and back, but the odd bit of branch I'd found to do the job sorted out the slope to the back wasn't quite enough so I went to put a brick under each of the two feet on one side I put the first brick in no problem, but as I went to get the second brick i let the stand go - hive went over as did best part of a gallon of syrup followed by brood box and crown board!! and only waering a smock and no gloves :willy_nilly: got hive back together and sorted (but not level!) then had to drive five miles home, mix another gallon of syrup, find proper wedges to raise the back of the hive (not bits of firewood!) heavy duty bee suit, gloves and smoker I don't think the colony have ever forgiven me - they've gone from a nice gentle bunch to a load of bu**ers!

Blimey Hombre I have an email address that ends with .gov.uk Where's the delete button quick :hairpull:

Observe and control a hubby who thinks he knows what to do...not massive but takes weeks to put right...

I made up a 2kg bag of sugar into syrup. I put it into a 4 pint container (ex milk bottle) and put the lid on. I didn't screw the lid on too tightly so that when it cooled it didn't pull all the sides of the bottle in.
Next day I took the bottle to feed the bees. When I got there it was raining heavy so I came home with it. When I opened the boot, the milk bottle had gone over, and the lid popped off. I hadn't tightened it!!
Luckily I have a drip mat in the boot of my car which stopped the carpets getting sticky, but everything in the boot was swimming in the stuff.

Never ever try this it doesnt work

Not from this year but when I first started keeping bees, I was sick to death with the number of wasps trying to get in one of my hives and thought I would catch each wap as they tried to enter the hive with a quick spray of fly spray..................................very big mistake as the AMM bees I had at that time took an instant dislike to my trying to help, it seemed like all left the hive and chased me for hours.
Ungrateful lot but what an idiot!
S

Me four.......

Mine was agreeing this year to take some "fiesty" bee's that turned out to be the bee devil incarnate, from someone I trusted. 80 stings later how dumb was that.....

Pushing against an open door here .... daren't confess to some of my stupidity - mostly involves forgetting anything that is not surgically attached to me - driving huge distances only to find that the vital bit I needed was somewhere else ... usually where I started from ! !

Hi pargyle and stiffy,
This is why I would never have an out apiary apart from missing the little darlings too much on daily basis (well hourly, all my waking hours - only joking I think).:grouphug: For the bees.

I have mentioned most of my faux pars ( spelling! ) but this year, ....... Went to mark my queen, lost concentration just as she moved, totally white queen from head to foot including eyes! White Eco tipex so she lives on...... Dead easy to spot though!!!
E

I had a queen with racing stripes too. paint dripped on the glove and she moved against it.

Bee novice, I can beat you for stupidity. I made up a batch of 6 bags sugar to 3 litres in a honey bucket with lid. Thought the lid was on tight, flew round a corner, forgot about the bucket..bucket toppled over the lid popped off with the impact. My whole car was swimming, opened the side door and had syrup pouring out!

Started university 150+ miles away from the hives. I win

Latest posts

Back