Dilemma

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
I recently had to move three six frame Nucs from my original Apiary through robbing from the stronger hives...two nucs are sweet and i know the introduced Queens are alive and laying (no need to open them)... HOWEVER the third Nuc is vile and the bees i used to make the Nuc want to kill me...

The problem is these are in my mothers garden with neighbors and a foot path over the other side of the fence 5ft away...i need to check to see if the Queen is still alive and laying but i dare not incase someone gets hammered...

This is what has me thinking... is it ok to move the nutty hive back to where it came from 56 mile away... leave them there for two days and if all is well take take them back to my mothers garden the next day.. if it was not for these paynes poly nuc crown boards cracking of it might have been ok where they are..
Thoughts Please.
Thank you Steve..

is it ok to move the nutty hive back to where it came from 56 mile away... leave them there for two days and if all is well take take them back to my mothers garden the next day..

Thoughts are moving them back is fine..But why do you want to bring them back?
If they are that aggressive then wasps have no chance....Stick one of you brilliant tunnel entrances on after you move them back to wasp country

Thoughts are moving them back is fine..But why do you want to bring them back?
If they are that aggressive then wasps have no chance....Stick one of you brilliant tunnel entrances on after you move them back to wasp country

I am getting to many hives at my original spot and the other half is questioning me... lol... also the forage here at this time of the year is good for the nucs... i have plenty of wasp prevention devices at hand... but the five stronger colonies robbed the life out of these three Nuc not long ago with my wasp traps and tunnels in place..

Basically i need to move a mental hive to a place where no one will get stung (apart from me) check the Queen status and put them back in my mothers garden again..

Basically i need to move a mental hive to a place where no one will get stung (apart from me) check the Queen status and put them back in my mothers garden again..

Sorry, forgot bees were the robbers. Bring 'em down here if you wish. I'm running down my farthest apiary for the winter. Plenty of space. No wasps around there either.

Sorry, forgot bees were the robbers. Bring 'em down here if you wish. I'm running down my farthest apiary for the winter. Plenty of space. No wasps around there either.

Thank you.. N ;) .. that gives me another option... but then again your forage is not as good as here .. :spy:

would it be easier to move the mother away

Take to original apiary. Inspect. Find and destroy queen. Unite with good natured colony.
Solves problems of a) aggressive bees near mother and passersby, b) growing number of hives.
Good luck with whichever route you take.

Take to original apiary. Inspect. Find and destroy queen. Unite with good natured colony.
Solves problems of a) aggressive bees near mother and passersby, b) growing number of hives.
Good luck with whichever route you take.

You may not have read my post properly but there is no chance on gods earth of me killing a introduced Queen from good stock that cost me £42 two weeks ago... the new Queens prodigy will take over and the angry bees will die of... mind you these angry bees are good for making Nucs up as the wasps are even getting attacked for sitting on the front of the nucs..

Read OP accurately. No mention of cost of queen, pedigree of queen or desire to keep queen. Asked for thoughts and gave them. Hope you solve your problem.

Read OP accurately. No mention of cost of queen, pedigree of queen or desire to keep queen. Asked for thoughts and gave them. Hope you solve your problem.

I did not have to mention the cost of Queens but here you go if you read it properly you should have been able to work out what i was on about... not to worry though i have it all in hand..

two nucs are sweet and i know the introduced Queens are alive and laying (no need to open them)... HOWEVER the third Nuc is vile and the bees i used to make the Nuc want to kill me...

Bees are in Northumberland at the moment and it is good news.. something is laying but I could not find the marked 2018 Queen on the first sweep I did on the second look though..i do not need too open them up for a while now as they have plenty of stores... after there little holiday I will take them back to the north east coast on Mon/Tue..

Back