difficulty seeing eggs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have had a hive for three years now and am learning bit by bit. However I am really struggling as I cannot see eggs.

I have been to club aparies for two years, every 10 days during the season, and still I can't see eggs.

My eyes aren't brilliant, but reading glasses are a bit of a pain for an inspection as I obviously can't take them on and off. I have been using a magnifying glass, but still can't see these blooming eggs.

To help me at crucial moments I ask a beekeeping friend with much more experience to come and view, but I really am disadvantaged.

Is it just me, or do eggs elude others? And does anyone have any tips or tricks to help me?
Thanks !

Sunlight coming over your shoulder (tricky this Spring) directly into the base of the cell. New comb, not old dark stuff.

And, I'm afraid to say it, glasses ... hang them round your neck inside the veil and you can get them off and on reasonably easily. Alternatively, I bought a pair of strong +2 dioptre (strong for me) reading glasses for grafting from eBay for about £3 ... these have very shallow lenses so I can easily peer over the top of them.

I carry a hand lens, but it's a pain juggling with that and a full frame laden with bees ... as I'm sure you realise by now ;)

You could always hand paint the bottom of each cell with black paint.

Seriously though if you can't see the eggs with a magnifying glass then you may struggle to see them no matter what you do. I know a lot of people that turn so the sun is behind them helps them see eggs but not ideal if you still need to use the magnifying glass.... Word of warning though if you do lift a frame out and turn around then make sure the queen isn't on the frame first.

And does anyone have any tips or tricks to help me?
Thanks !

Turn so that any sunlight is coming over your shoulder and remember that the cells are not perpendicular to the top/bottom bar but angled downward slightly - so you need to be looking slightly at an angle from the top to see the whole base of the cell. Find a patch of larvae and work outwards in concentric circles - the larvae will get smaller and smaller and once you spot the very small c-shaped ones, the eggs are not very far away usually :)

It took me a while to be able to spot them but now I know what they look like I find it easier - does your friend point them out to you and can you see them then?

Also, blow gently on bees that are in a likely spot to get them to move away for a few seconds.

Nick

I can't see them without glasses so hang them on a cord round my neck, it is then relatively easy to take them on and off through the mesh so long as your gloves aren't too thick.
I wouldn't worry too much about seeing them every inspection - if there are young larvae you know the queen was present and laying 4-5 days ago.

Rich

I use a pair of cheap specs with shallow lenses from the supermarket half a dioptre stronger than my reading prescription.
That way you can peer over them and wear them during the whole inspection without tripping over.

I do find specs a pain though so I might try just the one contact lens, changing the dominant eye depending on what I want to look at.

remember that the cells are not perpendicular to the top/bottom bar but angled downward slightly - so you need to be looking slightly at an angle from the top to see the whole base of the cell.

Also, blow gently on bees that are in a likely spot to get them to move away for a few seconds.

Nick

Angled upward slightly (to stop the liquid nectar dropping out)?

And bees don't like being blown on much (CO2)...gently move the back of your hand towards the frame and they'll clear happily - probably not with thick leather boxing gloves on though ;).

I wouldn't worry too much about seeing them every inspection - if there are young larvae you know the queen was present and laying 4-5 days ago.

:iagree:

But for when I think I have to try and see them, I put a cheapo pair of plastic reading glasses (not tall ones) on the end of my nose, in front of my ordinary spectacles. Instant bifocals! Try it for yourself at the self service stand in your local supermarket or library. You'll probably find that even the weakest lenses ("+1.5"?) make a very useful difference.
And who is going to see them inside your veil? ;)

/ Being blown on is one of the very few things that upsets my bees ... YMMV as ever!

Angled upward slightly (to stop the liquid nectar dropping out)?

And bees don't like being blown on much (CO2)...gently move the back of your hand towards the frame and they'll clear happily - probably not with thick leather boxing gloves on though ;).

Sure, angled upwards by the bees. I was looking at it from the perspective of the beek, so from the outer face of the comb they are angled downwards toward the foundation. Mine don't seem to mind being blown on too much... I will give them the back of my hand next time I inspect and try that though - thanks.

Latest posts

Back