Different types of foundation and different cell types

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HEver

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 WBC
Hi All,

I am just wandering if anyone can tell me what the difference is between premium foundation and standard foundation from Thorne (100% beeswax). Does it change the bees act towards it in any way? Does it make better/more honey? More/better brood? I really want the best so any recommendations if anyone knows any better foundation would be well appreciated - also, why it is better.

Also, I have also been asked whether I want drone or worker cells. This might sound like a stupid question, but will the bees still make drones if I have a hive with only foundation for worker cells?

Thanks

Standard foundation is a mix which probably contains imported wax - nothing at all wrong with that.
Premium foundation is all British sourced wax - usually the stuff Thornes get in as wax exchange at the conventions - if you've seen some of the disgusting looking rubbish people bring in for exchange you will understand why premium foundation is the dull brown colour it is, but it gets the Imperialists, hobbyists and dilettantes all moist knowing there's no 'foreign muck' in there so they can charge a few pounds more.
As a beginner, forget about drone foundation, it's just a way of making the bees raise more dronesb(handy in some instances). You need worker foundation in the brood box - the bees will re-engineer what they want to make drone cells. I would recommend worker in the supers as well, it's a bit of a myth that drone cells in the supers give you loads more honey.

Premium foundation is all British sourced wax - usually the stuff Thornes get in as wax exchange at the conventions - if you've seen some of the disgusting looking rubbish people bring in for exchange you will understand why premium foundation is the dull brown colour it is

The wax weighed in at conventions likely as not contains imported wax anyway.

Standard foundation is a mix which probably contains imported wax - nothing at all wrong with that.
Premium foundation is all British sourced wax - usually the stuff Thornes get in as wax exchange at the conventions - if you've seen some of the disgusting looking rubbish people bring in for exchange you will understand why premium foundation is the dull brown colour it is, but it gets the Imperialists, hobbyists and dilettantes all moist knowing there's no 'foreign muck' in there so they can charge a few pounds more.
As a beginner, forget about drone foundation, it's just a way of making the bees raise more dronesb(handy in some instances). You need worker foundation in the brood box - the bees will re-engineer what they want to make drone cells. I would recommend worker in the supers as well, it's a bit of a myth that drone cells in the supers give you loads more honey.
So just to check, you are saying that there is really no difference between the premium and normal so can just get the standard? Also, any ideas about better foundation. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
According to Thorne's website the premium stuff comes from Britain, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.
Perhaps the wax from the Antipodes is being haggled over in the very intensive trade negotiations going on at the moment:toetap05::toetap05:

So just to check, you are saying that there is really no difference between the premium and normal so can just get the standard? Also, any ideas about better foundation. Thanks for the reply.

Get Maisemore wax
The best is Kemble but it’s more expensive
IMO

No real difference - just that the premium is more expensive.
I prefer To use Maisemore's wax, never had an issue with it and you get a good discount if you buy in bulk.

Get Maisemore wax
The best is Kemble but it’s more expensive
IMO
Thanks. Do you know what makes it better. Clearly the beeswax will be better but whats the advantage of having that in the hive over other wax?
Thanks again for the recommendation not worthy

Thanks. Do you know what makes it better. Clearly the beeswax will be better but whats the advantage of having that in the hive over other wax?
Thanks again for the recommendation not worthy

Can only say the bees prefer it - they vdo sometimes ignore inferior wax or just get a bit too creative with it.
Maisemore's also have an online sale of their 'second quality' flatpack hive parts and frames for three days at the end of this month so It's worth checking out

I've had my last two batches from Simon the Beekeeper. Seems to be OK. It fits the frames. The bees haven't complained.

Can only say the bees prefer it - they vdo sometimes ignore inferior wax or just get a bit too creative with it.
Maisemore's also have an online sale of their 'second quality' flatpack hive parts and frames for three days at the end of this month so It's worth checking out

Thanks so much. Will have a look at the sale. Do you know how often they do them?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much. Will have a look at the sale. Do you know how often they do them?
Thanks
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The June one is usually an on site only sale which takes place at Maisemore on a Saturday morning in late June, obviously due to the lockdown they've made this year's a mail order event (bonus for all those too far away to travel to their shop) they have a mail order sale in October/November time then a sale of Poly equipment and some frames in February

Old Castle Farm also do foundation now - it looks OK, I think the wax comes from the same place as their Sentinel suits (Estonia?) but unfortunately they've listened to those of little imagination and it's all packaged in packs of eleven!

Last edited:
Old Castle Farm also do foundation now - it looks OK, I think the wax comes from the same place as their Sentinel suits (Estonia?) but unfortunately they vlistened to those of little imagination and it's all packaged in packs of eleven!
Ok. Thanks. I will have a look at the sales. Just want the best for the bees - happy bees, happy me.

I've heard that if you let them draw it out themselves then they just build drone cells so the colony doesn't become amazing. Anyone know?

I've heard that if you let them draw it out themselves then they just build drone cells so the colony doesn't become amazing. Anyone know?

Not true - they will draw out as much as they need for a balanced colony - a lot also depends on what time of year they draw it.

Back