Did they accept a virgin queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbchive

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Months ago I split a colony. The queenless bees above the Snelgrove board steadfastly refused to raise a new queen. I gave them eggs from downstairs and they raised them as workers. Eventually I reunited top and bottom using newspaper (Yorkshire Post) and they fought like Samurai. Next day there was a large pile of dead bees outside the entrance. My wife, daughter and I were stung whilst in the garden some distance from the hives. When I opened the hive they went bonkers and stung me like it was going out of fashion (the bees, not the wife and daughter, although they do have their moments). I found there was no queen in the bottom box either, or eggs, or unsealed brood. In desperation I released into the brood box a virgin queen from a queen cell I'd just removed from another hive. I wasn't hopeful, and I was starting to think "petrol". That was two weeks ago. Yesterday I opened them up and they were as gentle as lambs. In the brood box were eggs in a lovely pattern and one per cell. I didn't search for the queen because I didn't want to cause a commotion, but she must have been there.
And so my saga ends, with the question, "Well, did they?"

And so my saga ends, with the question, "Well, did they?"
They might be luring you into a false sense of security, and they'll be waiting for you in force next time you inspect...

Are there fairies in Bingley?

Just-out-of-their-cell virgins are accepted better than older ones I understand.

Just-out-of-their-cell virgins are accepted better than older ones I understand.

Yes they do,but after 2 days but often just emerged is vanished. It seems to be very easy when bees show no reaction to the virgin.
But if you give a capped queen cell to the queenless hive, that is quite easy case.

Last edited:
That explains it, then. Thank you for the replies. The bees did not react to her. She just walked down between the frames as if she'd always lived there. I expected that because she did not have the same scent they would treat her as an outsider and attack her. In future I will play it safe and put the capped cell in there.

Latest posts

Back