Deformed Wing Virus?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuckUk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I spotted single bees crawling up the lawn away from my hives yesterday? Some appeared whole as in wings etc, but some had what appears to be deformed wings!!
I had a good look through my colonies but could find no evidence of bees with further deformities within other hives!

One appeared Q- and had dwindled to less than a couple of frames of bees, all brood had hatched the majority of these being drones! I presumed a DLW or DLQ but could not find either, although eggs were seen two visits previously with several eggs to the bottom of each cell as opposed to the cell wall perhaps indicating a Q that hadn't yet got her act together?

On the inspection last night, no further eggs or capped brood were seen!!

I therefore took the decision to shake the remaining bees out onto the lawn about 10m away from the other colonies.

I regularly dust with icing sugar and intend to apply some formic acid now that the weather is a little warmer to assist with evaporation rates.

Varroa drop across each of the colonies has been minimal as has drone culling at the 'pink eye stage' in terms of varroa on larvae.

Is there something else that I need to consider regards DWV?

I have photos, but haven't fathomed how to upload yet!!

I don't believe so, many of the badly deformed bees were very black, in fact very very black.
I've just spotted another earlier thread (couldn't find it on my original search) were somebody has suggested that bees turning black might indicate the presence of pesticides!

Perhaps someone might enlighten me on how to upload an image, then I can post a picture.

Cheers.

d861e441f94ea2375794a0c5139557df_2225.jpg

Last edited:
turning white I could answer your question but black, sorry no answer and cannot recall reading the post but probably someone will

I fathomed uploading images!

Might help with the responses?

picture.php

did these start of as big strong colonies? and do a lot of the bees appear shiny black?, lift the crown board, no smoke at all and watch the bees come up btween the frames, watch their behaviour on the top bars, if they appear to shake or quiver then they could have bee paralysis virus, lots around this year so our rbi told me

Latest posts

Back